Steel Whips

Read-only area containing the massive amount of useful information Vagrant provided to this forum and to the knife world in general. Whatever the question, Vagrant likely either knew the answer or where to look for it.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mors Profundis

Steel Whips

Post by Mors Profundis »

As one of the flea market arsenal suppliers(and long may you persist), what do you hear about the Kiyoga/SIPO steel whips.
Was just thinking of them when the blackjack discussion erupted elsewhere, and realized I hadn't seen any for quite a while.
I don't get to the flea markets and gun shows like I once did-are these things still around?
I can get a used one from the Sportsman's Guide, but I prefer new-still, if they aren't being produced or imported any more, I better grab a used one.
The guy who patented the Kiyoga is a member of the Aryan Brotherhood-which makes me sorry I bought one-and research has revealed that he was born Jewish-oh, well, Torquemada had a Jewish grandmother, some people can't seem to adjust to the fact that there are some prize bungholes in the world, and this guy went and volunteered for bunholedom!
Sheesh!
Enough fun-seen any of these things around?
Life has no value, but death has it's price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I remember ads for them, that's about the extent of my knowledge.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Check this out. This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.personalarms.com/telescopic_steel_batons.htm
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Razor_54 wrote:Check this out. This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.personalarms.com/telescopic_steel_batons.htm
Those I have. I think the ones he means were basically a heavy duty tapered spring weighted on the end.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Yeah, springs is what I'm talking about.
Maybe they aren't made any more, and if so, good, 'cause these are ghastly insturments, not for the hands of the untutored(besides, I still have mine).
I looked all over the net, and could only find them in the past tense.
Cruel things, these, as I said, had that fats lug that was boffing Tonya Harding had a SIPO, Nancy Kerrigan would probably be appearing in the March of Dimes.
Small loss.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Thank'ee kindy, my friend, looks very like the tool in question-I'll call the company and find out more.
Remember the question about what weaapon other than a firearm you would want in a bad part of town, late at night?
My answer would be one of those spring batons(to my shame, I used to sell them, long ago, as part of my line of blowguns and such-I lost track of the very nice gent who imported them back around 1983, and had other things to worry about after that).
Still a cruel, ugly thing(evil never dies, Thank Cthulu!)and not for the use of the unruly.
For use upon the unruly, oh, yes!
A Chicago judge once ruled that these things were legal to carry, for anyone.
I think he owned stock, because they sold like hotcakes until another spoilsport in a black robe reversed him.
I had mine out twice-both times the object of my diaffection backed down before I had to hit-a very humane sort of club.
I found a page by a guy even nuttier about blackjacks than I am-Don Rearic Dot Com-much info about the weapon that raises the most satisfactory lump a fellow can find on someone else.
Letcha know what I find out.
Thanks again!
missaman

Post by missaman »

Missa Mors
Check out the flea market in Dundalk.....
You know where it is.... :shock: I hope :?
Missaman
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mors

Let us know if you find em any cheaper I'm thinking I'll and a few to my chest of toys. Also keep an eye on BA I've seen them there from time to time.

SD
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

I've had a similar item in my glove compartment for about ten years now. (Replaced the hatchet I used to keep under the seat.) When I bought it, it was called a "Steel Cobra" and came with an insert that claimed the inventor had injured both his arms in a motorcycle accident and then had designed a weapon that he could use with limited arm mobility. The two-piece tapered spring snaps out of the handle through inertia and has a metal knob on the end. I've knocked bark off of trees with it so it does work. However, mine tends to jam open if you whack it around too much and then you have to give it a hard twist in the right direction to free the spring to slide shut again.

Seems to be a fairly decent, non-descript, non-offensive in appearance type weapon that could be quite effective for self defence. It makes a nice "ssshink" sound when you snap it open that should discourage most buffoons from bothering you.

Also, an earlier thread (which I can't find now) mentioned blackjacks and something about their effectiveness compared to a regular club. There is an added impact effect with the whiplike motion of certain weapons as I recall from a book that used to be available from Paladin Press called simply "Flexible Weapons." This book covers flexible weapons of all sorts from rubber hoses to medieval spiked maces, (more aptly called flails) and includes construction and practice techniques.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

My [legal] ability to carry a handgun makes such weapons needed only when I'm in a VERY good mood :!: [Or for that matter a very BAD mood].
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Ditto- but where I work I could get away w/ a knife or sap
A gun would get me jail time :roll:

Never bought from these guys, but...
http://store.yahoo.com/mrppseee/stspba17.html
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Looks like the item in question-and $9.95 per is cheaper than they were in 1983!
Please forgive any bad typing, I fell on the ice yesterday, and am working with seven fingers, two of which are thumbs.
For all the guys who run right out and buy these things, a few tips.
Get one for play, and one to use. practice and experience soon leaves you with what I called a "pigtail", the last segment badly twisted, and no longer retractable.
These were fine for demonstrations of what the whip could do, but of course, they were retired from active service.
Hitting hard objects like trees, telephone books on counters and the like pigtails them pretty quick, but you gotta practice and experiment to know the worth of any weapon.
Do not show it off to the "gentiles"(people who don't know or like weapons) because they will call the cops in a hurry-these things look as nasty as they are.
Keep away from the head, lest you do homicide.
Hitting limbs with something like this will cause the subject to drop whatever they are holding, experience a loss of mobilityand/or howl like the Anti-Christ.
For real squealing, try a flat shot to the groin-Big Jim and the kids will really demand attention, and that spring pinches, oh Lordy!
Treat a spring whip as what it is, a serious weapon, and a deadly one, much more injurious than any folding knife of reasonable size.
So, if you tingle someone's dingle with one, make sure it's justified!
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Mr. Profundus, quite right sir. These implements can knock divits out of scalp or hide if used correctly but they do have some drawbacks. If struck near the middle or handle end, the force of the strike is mostly diffused. Also, they were not designed for tug-o-wars. Mine actually came apart once. I was able to screw (twist) it back together again but was a little more leery about overzealous use of the tool. Definately not something to play around with, but where a little extra reach might be needed, it could come in real handy. Again, as you said, one should practice to get familiar with striking distance and targeting, especially with this particular weapon, for it to be effective.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Thanks for your wisdom, Mr Shiver!
Yes, you must strike with the very end for most effect, and follow through is important(ouch, oh, Mother of Serpents, ouch!).
Can you imagine a crack across the hand with one of these things?
Or on the shin?
I've always found that the more unexpected the target, the greater the effect(mooks always forget how tender those shins and elbows are, until,zing!.).
The thumb side of the forearm is very good for making people drop things(which can be very important, depending on what they have you want dropped.).
After seeing so many guys get fired, and even sent to jail because the popped a troglodyte in the noggin, and some liberal prosecuter went boo-hoo(sometimes it was not as far fetched as that, too many officers today stress out,and lose it) I decided to stick with beating the pus out of arms and legs when I could, because nobody ever got all that sympathetic over said boo-boos.
Break a few facial bones,and the tumbril awaits.
Whack the shin purple and blue, yellow and green, black and scabby brown,nobody cares a fig, because few people die of barked shins-sometimes they wish they could, but they don't.
A good clout on the upper thigh, across the bone is even better, because the skell can't pull his pants leg up enough to show the judge and start whining about how he was bullied and beat by the evil po-leece.
Hurts, too.
And won't maim or kill-which was always important to me,as my concience would bother me when I really injured somebody.
Until a woman almost had my eye out one day, and the 'cuter said "All part of the job.", when he declined to charge her.
After that, I made it my business to cream anyone offering me resistance very quickly, and if they took hurt of it, hard cheese for them.
I left law enforcement because I was sick of everybody knowing my job better than me, and all without a minutes experience.
Guess I was just too stupid.
And now I take care of me, my wife,my dog, and my cat,and if anybody else has a problem, well here's fifty cents,call somebody who cares.