Today's haul from the flea

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Today's haul from the flea

Post by button_man »

Got a decent Rizzy -- nice 10.75" size, no blade peek, no wobble, strong snap, everything good..... except the safety button is missing. The stem is still there, because I can get a very thin screwdriver (from an eyeglasses-repair kit) down into the safety channel and move the safety stem (and the safety works okay). A couple of teenie hairlines at two pins on the obverse side. It has "spring peek" which I like, because it hints at enhanced opening force.
I don't know how unusual this is; but the bail is plain, not filigreed. (I haven't seen this on other Rizzutos.) Seemed like a good deal at $50.

Rizzuto__369c_open.jpg
Rizzuto__369c_open.jpg (382.44 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Rizzuto__376c__no_blade_peek.jpg
Rizzuto__376c__no_blade_peek.jpg (166.47 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Rizzuto__371c__hairlines.jpg
Rizzuto__371c__hairlines.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, the venerable Camillus paratrooper knife. I encountered a fellow at my lunch stop whom I know was in Viet Nam, and showed it to him.
He said that back when he was bailing out into the jungle, the G.I. version was O.D. green (which I had not known) and there was a little plate on the handle with "U.S. Army" on it. I've never seen a real military issue before.... just these orange ones. This has some blade wobble but again was only $50.

Camillus__392c__2open.jpg
Camillus__392c__2open.jpg (544.09 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Camillus__388c__ricasso.jpg
Camillus__388c__ricasso.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, an amazingly lightweight fake Benchmade. The first two knives are a little one side or the other of the 120-gram mark; this is under 85 grams.
You pick it up and you think that the insides must have been removed; it feels like it weighs nothing at all. That being said, the blade is quite sharp, wickedly pointy, and opens as fast as anything I've ever seen. I don't buy many fakes but I couldn't let it go at $40.

OTF__394c_closed.jpg
OTF__394c_closed.jpg (419.64 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
OTF__399c_open.jpg
OTF__399c_open.jpg (559.62 KiB) Viewed 3022 times

That's it for today.... nothing fabulous, but a handful of okay stuff at acceptable prices.

rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Today's haul from the flea

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

good scores, I never find any automatics at ANY flea markets.
button_man

Post by button_man »

The key is perseverance..... I am at the flea every single Saturday and Sunday that it's open. I look at every table. I hand out my "Want" list to sellers.
It also helps that a few years ago, my State de-criminalized spring-knives; prior to that, I was never able to find a single one. And of course, you have to be there early, or the good stuff will be snapped up by others.

You would not think that the dusty, humble little nickel-and-dime roadside flea that I attend would ever produce anything decent.... but it was here that I discovered the now-legendary "Marca Oro" (okay, that was a bit of hyperbole; but it's probably going to be the best spring-knife find of my life) along with some scarce German leverlocks such as "Baron" and "Schloß" and "Horster"..... a 10" Hubertus.... my first Latama..... a Buck 112 auto conversion... my little bone-handle keychain switchblade.... the "Kobra".... the coil-spring humpback picklock.... a bunch of lesser autos such as Rizzies etc. ....and a Larry Page SP1 fixed-blade knife for $50 (worth around $300). I'm amazed at the stuff that I've pulled out of this small, drab, unassuming little flea market.

I almost didn't list this group of knives, because nothing here is very great. Mostly I went ahead and did it because I would really like to hear from others on the subject of changes in the bail on the Rizzies.... maybe they ditched the filigree style and went to a plain bail to cut costs? If so, can anyone put a date on when this happened? I'm always looking for info that will help pinpoint when something was made.

And I would also be interested in seeing any variations in the Camillus paratrooper knife - - does anyone have a real G.I. version that they can show?

Hopefully somebody will have better stuff than these to show off here sometime soon...!

Mario

Post by Mario »

Awesome finds bro. Never find Rizzy’s or Camillus or Schrade paratroopers at my flea markets. It’s usually all Chinese autos and spring assist knives. OTFs like that fake BM you got are also pretty common. I do find a lot of antique pocket knives though, like old Barlows, Klein electrician knives, Scout knives, etc.
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

Where is this magical flea market? I wanna be there.
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
button_man

Post by button_man »

It's in.... um..... Nome, Alaska. Go down the side street next to the Pyrite Bar & Grill..... the flea market is
on the opposite side of the street from their kitchen entrance. But be careful when you're in that vicinity,
because the bar has their trash cans out back there, and it attracts the polar bears.....

button_man

Post by button_man »

This is wildly off-topic, but illustrates some of the bargains to be had at this little flea market:

Yesterday I bought (3) sealed, never-opened bottles of liqueurs that came from a clean-out.
They all have the old paper revenue stamp across the cap, and there are no zip codes on the
USA addresses, indicating pre-1963. These may even go back into the mid to late 1950s.

‘Mohawk’ Crème de Menthe is still being made in Detroit.... currently about $14 per bottle.
The Liqueur de Damiana is a bit pricer ($27.49) and the Bronte Yorkshire Liqueur is the
best by far -- see attached photo -- and that's for a NEW bottle, right off the store shelf.
Who knows what a vintage bottle from 60 or 70 years ago might be worth. I paid $25 for all.

Well, it's time to go see what I can find today......

Attachments
Bronte_price__winesearcher_cc.jpg
Bronte_price__winesearcher_cc.jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Button_man,

You seem to have very good results at the flea. My experience at flea markets has been that all I see is junk or things for which I have no interest. Perhaps you have great flea market or a quick discerning eye, or a combination of both.

Jim
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

button_man wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Next, the venerable Camillus paratrooper knife. I encountered a fellow at my lunch stop whom I know was in Viet Nam, and showed it to him.
He said that back when he was bailing out into the jungle, the G.I. version was O.D. green (which I had not known) and there was a little plate on the handle with "U.S. Army" on it. I've never seen a real military issue before.... just these orange ones. This has some blade wobble but again was only $50.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have news for you. The Camillus "Orange Paratrooper" knives WERE military issue in the pilot's gear. These were supplied for emergency use (hence the hooked shroud line cutter). These were often "liberated" from the military and found their way into the hands of civilians after the 1958 Switchblade Control Act had been passed.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

Fishtail ~ Is there any way to distinguish the (orange) military-issue knives from knives available to civilians?
Is there any way to tell whether the knife pictured here was actually issued to a pilot?

button_man

Post by button_man »

jim d ~ If spring-knives are legal in your State, follow the tips in my Sept 26 post in this thread.
Get to know the sellers that regularly have knives for sale and get there early as hell and hit their tables first.
Establish a reputation as "the switchblade guy". Bring plenty of cash. My sources know that if they offer something
good to me, I will pull out a wad of fifties and start peeling them off. This provides a lot of incentive for them to
steer their automatic cutlery towards me. And no matter what, be civil. If somebody swears that their China
knockoff is a real Microtech worth $300, don't argue... smile and say "I'm just not sure about it, so I' think I'll pass
on this one. But thanks for showing it to me, and please let me know when you have anything more."
Good manners go a long way at the flea, where weary sellers have to endure rudeness all day long.

---------------------

Oct 7 ~ I will add one more bit of advice: don't educate your sources. Never inform them that a flatguard or red-dot or square-button knife commands a hefty premium. Never specify a brand or maker that is worth more. Never explain the differences in construction that make some models more desirable.

The last thing you want is for sellers to start researching their spring-knives before offering them for sale because you've tipped them to the fact that there can be real money involved. Nor do you want anyone feeling angry and resentful because he discovered that the knife he sold you two weeks ago for $75 is really worth $400; do you think you'd ever again buy a knife from that guy at a bargain price? Not a chance.

Stick to phrases like "this one seems interesting" and "I like the looks of this piece". Information is the most valuable commodity in the world and
you do not want to freely give it away to those who will then promptly use it against you. The less you say, the better.
Last edited by button_man on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Thanks for the advice button_man, autos are legal here in N.C. I had written off local fleas but now will give them another shot using your techniques.

Jim
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Fishtail ~ Is there any way to distinguish the (orange) military-issue knives from knives available to civilians?
Is there any way to tell whether the knife pictured here was actually issued to a pilot?
That is a Big question. . . . . I have a non folding Hook shroud cutter from a real pilot, it's beat and rehandled.
it has a red parachute center line (woven cord) as a lanyard.
I can't prove that.

excluding the new 2nd generation camillus shroud cutter knives.
and only referring to the Shrade, or Camillus or (I forget the 3rd maker. . .Logan Smith ? or something like that.)

I have seen the old knife in O.D.Green scales at a gun show under glass, I did not see any "plate" with U.S.Army text.
I can't say for sure if it was a real green plastic. . .or professionally colored with Vinyl Paint. which would "melt" permanent.

The new 2nd gen Camillus come in all manner of colors and blade options.
I have seen a few old orange knives , black markered up, or painted.

Technically, the orange handle automatics were issued only to service personnel. . . .
Civilian knives were either all metal edgemaster, or old style schrade pickbone, and without the shroud hook blade.
A civilian issued orange knife with hook was not done "on purpose" , , , ,civilians "acquired them" from a friend.
It's only since the 1990's do you see army surplus original orange pilots knives for sale to civilians.

by 1960, a non automatic sheath type hook knife replaced the automatic.
Viet Nam aircraft carrier Navy Guys were opening the pouches and finding out they weren't switchblades anymore.

If it was given to a pilot, and he sold it. . .it would simply look like any other used knife.
You would need to prove provenance, with a written letter, or a photograph.
even then, it would be suspect.

As far as collectibility. . . a new one comes wrapped in a wax paper with text instructions printed on it.
I have one paper somewhere. . .not particularly hard to fine.
I have about a dozen old orange ones, in various conditions, One has a custom nickel bolster and wood scale.
Another has a schrade bolster and a black Lucite scales, with the bail moved to the tail end.

A bit rarer is the ripstop cloth pouch issue packet. You didn't see the knife, it was sealed inside in a waxed paper.
You either sewed the pouch to your jumpsuit. . . or you used the eyelets and laced it up to your gear somewhere.
Everyone has seen one that has been opened. . . .few people have a new sealed unissued knife pouch.
Attachments
1960-aerial-shroud-cutter-survival-knife-us-navy-air-force-pilot2.jpg
1960-aerial-shroud-cutter-survival-knife-us-navy-air-force-pilot2.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
1960-aerial-shroud-cutter-survival-knife-us-navy-air-force-pilot.jpg
1960-aerial-shroud-cutter-survival-knife-us-navy-air-force-pilot.jpg (220.38 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

To my knowledge, the only Vietnam-era paratroopers were the Schrade Walden in orange, and possibly black handles, or the orange Camillus. The Schrades and Camillus knives were never sold to the public. All were military issue.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks Jerry and Bill.....! Now I feel better about buying this knife.
Jerry, I have never seen the cloth packet, opened or not.... thanks for posting the photos!
Did the switchblades ever come in these; or just the handled hook; or both, at different times?