HELP Tight Blade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
XBMX

HELP Tight Blade

Post by XBMX »

What is the best way for me to correct a tight blade pivot. Just received a NOS Italian Shellpuller with a very tight pivot. Tried the usual lube but it seems its the pivot itself. The blade deploys but stops three quarters the way and becomes very snug without any play. Any constructive advise will be greatly appreciated.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: HELP Tight Blade

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Wiggle the blade side to side.
Remove as much oil as you can from the pivot. Apply a small amount of lithium automotive grease to the blade tang, where it contacts the backspring.
The kickspring probably rubs on one of the liners. Apply a small drop of oil where it rubs
More oil doesn't make things work better.
Lastly, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RrsH7-CqA
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Thanks I had viewed your video prior to making my post. I think the pivot is overpeened. Other than clamping the blade in a vise and applieing side to side pressure (I'm afraid of snapping the blade). The knife is a AKC Lever Lock SP
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you have a small hammer, you can tap each side of the pivot (with the other side unsupported.) This will loosen the blade.
Or, put the blade tang in a vise with the blade at a 45 degree angle to the open position and put light side to side pressure on the blade.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Follow Bill’s instructions and if you don’t feel comfortable wiggling the blade side to side you can try this.
I’ve had excellent success by slipping a razor blade in between the liner and the blade of the knife. One razor blade on each side may do it if not add a second or third. Be sure to put the blades one each side of the blade and the liner not just on one side.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I tried the blades before posting but was afraid a piece would get lodged inside and I'ed be screwed. Happy to report the vice side to side worked. Thanks very much Bill. Thanks John
john

Post by john »

I’m glad Bill’s advice worked!
John

XBMX

Post by XBMX »

Turns out the inner liner was bent causing the tightness. The Mfg agreed to have a look so i shipped it off. Let all know around October how I made out.
john

Post by john »

Quality control is always a problem. Who’s the manufacturer and where are you sending your knife for repair?
Good luck and keep us posted.
John

XBMX

Post by XBMX »

AKC in Austria, they replied quickly and favoriably to my inquiry, very pleased.
john

Post by john »

Awesome!!!
John