TYPHOON help

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

TYPHOON help

Post by rapidboy1 »

Hello swingers,
I'm looking for some help with my TYPHOON kit.
I assembled it and the squeeze is great in the open position but in the closed position the blade edge is slightly proud from the handle and the latch is "to long" to stay closed because the squeeze is non existent and the handles touch.
The blade position when closed is such that the spine is touching the back spacers on the safe blade handle.
Is it possible to increase the diameter of pin used in the blade (for the closed position)?
Will this cure the problem?
I am a little disappointed in the closed position of the knife but the rest is great and just begging to be customised.
This is my first bali and I would appreciate any help.
Cheers
Rapidboy
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I have a couple and havent had any problems.
The best resource for this stuff is here
http://www.ckdforums.com/forumdisplay.p ... forumid=19
Darryl Ralph posts there and alot of the guys there make the typhoon kits.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Rapid:

Did you over file the cups?. I guess if you have a workshop to use the pin could be removed and a slightly larger pin used to correct the problem. I read some where that replacing tang pins with a hardened drill bit works. Shank end of bit is used and cut down after set. I've never done it though.

SD
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Didn't touch the cups ,just put it together and that as for as i got.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

make any progress w/ this?
If you didnt let us know and we will rally the troops :wink:
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I changed the handles around and now when closed the blade is in a better position (at least I shouldn't cut myself when its closed):lol:.
The squeeze when closed is still not enough for the handles to latch securely.
I was looking at FivePointOh's Project 43 and he removed the latch on that ,which might be an option (i find it gets in the way a little for flipping anyway) but i don't think i would shorten the handles as he did with the 43 as it would leave them too short .
I also like the way he modified the "ears" on the 43 ,i was thinking about grinding them off the TYPHOON as they catch when slipping it in or out of my pocket.
Still I'd like to know if i can fix it ,as i doubt this will be my last TYPHOON and this may be of use to others so if anyone can help ,chime in.
First upgrade is to replace the washers as they are showing signs of damage already .
All in all a great little knife and much better quality than any of the others i have seen in this price range yet cheap enough to customise.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Grinding the ears off the blade are a good idea as many other songers reported that the ears tend to bite during rollovers.

SD
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

What about removing the latch ,is that a common modification?
It actually dosn't prevent it from being a user as much as i thought (not that EDC was ever going to be it's primary purpose).
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Depends on the user. Some prefer latches, some don't. I prefer latches, and my flipping has never suffered because of a latch. The latch for me is how I know which handle is in my hand. Also is used for spotting any catches when throwing the bali around. I've found as long as my movements are exact the latch stays out of the way because of the force applied to move the handle also extends the latch during flipping.

SD
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Im used to the latch, but alot of folks live w/o it.
Not uncommon to take it off or not put it on in the case of the typhoon.
Im going to pick up some more typhoons to modify also, they are just perfect for experimenting w/
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I would like to have the option of using the latch so any suggestions on how to replace the stop pin or whatever to improve the squeeze?
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I took your advise Benny and posted over at the ckdforum.
Didn't take long for a response and I've just finished talking to Darrel Ralph who is taking care of it. :D
Real nice guy who obviously takes customer care seriously.
Result
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Im not surprised.
CKD is a bunch of really high class people mostly and people who take there knives seriously.
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Just to bring you all up to speed on the TYPHOON kit.
Darrel Ralph sent me a complete replacement kit FOC.
I offered to pay the postage and he wouldn't hear of it.
The replacement is perfect ,with a nice even blade grind (the first one was slightly off on one side) and the squeeze is great.
I have to say this really is great customer care.
As far as the kit is concerned , i thought the first one was good even with the minor complaint about the squeeze but this one is better and i am really impressed with the knife.
I don't have other balisongs to compare it to but against folders and auto's in it's price range it makes a great knife.
Rapidboy
:D :D :D
Anyone know about the new DR kit that can be a folder or an auto ,now that could be nice.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

a coupla things-
1. Go tell eveyone about the great customer service, especially on CKD.
2. Practice w/ that bali. :twisted:
Glad it got fixed for ya, but like I said, Im not surprised.
Darryls rep is pretty spotless.