exiled's new fu42!

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wazu013

Re: exiled's new fu42!

Post by wazu013 »

linos wrote:
That review is on the USN forum. I'd link it but you have to have a login name there to view posts. He basically describes the FU42 as just being a Chinese clone (as many of us suspected) that has been fitted with a Bradley Kimura latch.
can you post the link i can not figure out how to do the search there...LOL
I sent cardoso5fr a PM asking him to post his review here. let's see if it works.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

cardoso taged his review on the bottom of this link.
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17887
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's an interesting link. It's the FU42 handles with a spring latch. I would imagine it's the way they looked befor the cam latch was added. It kind of proves where they came from :roll:
http://www.knifezilla.com/catalog/Exile ... atch.shtml
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I'v been having trouble with my FU42 pivots. They seem to be a little long and they are to skinny causing the pivots to spin freely inside of the handle. I contacted JB from RSI and he said they are designed this way to keep you from over tightening them. He suggested that I take them out add some washers and file them down if I so choose. What do you all think of this idea? To me I'd be risking ruining them perminately. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike,
They are designed so you can not over tighten them, that is the point. You have to use washers to space the blade. You can file the pivots down if that is your call.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM, mike mroz <wazu013@yahoo.com> wrote:

JB,

How was your vacation? I hope it went good. I am having a little trouble with my FU42. The pivots seem like they are a little to skinny and long. The pivot for the safe handle slides in and out of the handle and it won't tighten further using the screws. Plus it is spinnig freely. The opposite handle pivot is fine except it won't tighten enough take some of the play out of the handle. It's almost as if they need fatter washers. I'm afraid the blade will hit the channel. I'm not an expert with butterfly knives so if you say this is normal then I'm good. If not let me know what I could try. Maybe I need to buy another set of pivots from you. I'd be willing to send it into you to look at and fix if necesary because I'm a clumsy SOB and I don't trust anybody else. Of course I'd pay you for your time because I'm not a cheap ass bitch asking questions about springs and the like. Or just tell me to blow it out of my ass either way works for me.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike (A.K.A. wazu013)
Last edited by wazu013 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

The pivot are too skinny and tooo long..... You need to file them for the size and to put some washer more for the over bladeplay.... For the skinny part, nothing to do...... They are really not bright clone... The nickel plating, take a dark patern with the time.....
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

cardoso5fr wrote:The pivot are too skinny and tooo long..... You need to file them for the size and to put some washer more for the over bladeplay.... For the skinny part, nothing to do...... They are really not bright clone... The nickel plating, take a dark patern with the time.....
Thanks Cardoso. I was hoping the maker had a different sort of fix, like send it in I'll fix it with the correct parts, other than adding washers that I don't have but I'm sure I know where they sell them or filing down the pivots, like that's something I do everyday. Once I took it apart I lost one of the tiny washers under my workbench. I really thought for $130 plus delivered I would get a knife that would be complete. I actually thought the pivot deseign was good and would allow adjustment. I couldn't imagine that the only way to adjust it was to make it more sloppy. As it is now the blade edge is nicked up from hitting the handle, it's missing a washer so now I have put it in my round file with my mistakes. I learn the hard way more than most but once I do learn I don't forget. I'm over this one :oops:
wazu013
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

I love it.
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

[quote="Knifeguy420"][quote="BTB0923"]

Knifeguy, I would like to know which Aliexpress dealer ripped you off. I placed an order and I am hoping it is not the same dealer. I have heard many horror stories from those Chinese sites.

Aaron
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

Knifeguy420 wrote:hey yall heres my new EXILED! FU42! with weehawk blade. i know that this knife is a copy of the infamous BM42 and i hope to not start anything by posting this cause i do like this knife and it does flip very well!
I like this knife too. I am thinking about selling one of mine. I have the damascus weehawk. It is nice!
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

HumanEvolution wrote:
Knifeguy420 wrote:
BTB0923 wrote:
Knifeguy, I would like to know which Aliexpress dealer ripped you off. I placed an order and I am hoping it is not the same dealer. I have heard many horror stories from those Chinese sites.

Aaron
Nevermind.
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

cardoso5fr wrote:The pivot are too skinny and tooo long..... You need to file them for the size and to put some washer more for the over bladeplay.... For the skinny part, nothing to do...... They are really not bright clone... The nickel plating, take a dark patern with the time.....

Mine only have watchers on one side. Once you file the pivots down can you fit washers on both sides of the blade?
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

wazu013 wrote:Here's an interesting link. It's the FU42 handles with a spring latch. I would imagine it's the way they looked befor the cam latch was added. It kind of proves where they came from :roll:
http://www.knifezilla.com/catalog/Exile ... atch.shtml

Yeah only the handles are from clones. At least they are modified by being plated.
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

BTB0923 wrote:
jimbeam wrote:BTB if you do a google search you will find many of the mainstream knife dealers are selling the fu42 and on one ( pvk I believe ) they have made this statement:

THE FU42 IS NOT A COPY OF THE BENCHMADE BM42 IT IS IT'S OWN CREATION WITH ITS OWN LATCH DEVICE MAKING IT UNIQUE BUT THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED TO DIRECTLY COMPETE AGAINST BENCHMADE KNIFE COMPANY WITH A LOW COST AFFORDABLE ALTERNATIVE PRODUCT.
Yes, I've seen the video PVK posted on youtube. They had to disable the comments because they were getting barraged with hate :lol: They can say it's not a copy of a BM42 all they want to, but it clearly is. The only difference I can tell is the latch, which is a nice feature btw. I don't think anybody has done a balisong latch like that before.
jimbeam wrote:According to the websites selling these knives they are made in the USA in Denver. CO.
BTW apparently the 'FU' is a direct slam at BM. Must really piss them off. Also BTW the word on the internet is that Benchmade as well as other large knife companies are having parts for their lower end knives made in China and ASSEMBLED in the US therefore enabling them to claim Made in USA. It's all perfectly legal.
Seems unethical to me. "Assembled in USA", ok...but "made in USA", not so much.
A lot of crazies from Jerzee Devil. They seem to make it their life mission to pour nonstop hatred towards anything that looks like BM.
HumanEvolution

Post by HumanEvolution »

BTB0923 wrote:
dark2023 wrote:Also, benchmade might try to sue, they've tried to sue boker over stupid stuff before.
They've sued him and won before, just last year actually...

http://www.benchmade.com/news/pr.aspx?id=247

Either he didn't learn his lesson the first time, or he's ensured that somehow these Exiled knives haven't broken any patent laws.
I think he is good. This is mostly American and a lot of the parts are original.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

HumanEvolution wrote:A lot of crazies from Jerzee Devil. They seem to make it their life mission to pour nonstop hatred towards anything that looks like BM.
I read the threads on Jerzeedevil and for the most part they didn't seem all that crazy to me. The FU42 knives are made at least partially of Chinese parts, but are labeled "made in USA". I don't have any personal problem with JB at RSI, but I can't say I that I completely agree with the way he marketed the FU42. If (emphasis on the if) I was interested in buying a BM42 clone, I'd just buy one of the $30 ones that still have the spring latch. Why spend the extra 100+ bucks on an FU42?
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408