What Balisong Should I Buy?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

What Balisong Should I Buy?

Post by CDR_Glock »

I always see this question so I made a video to show what these knives look like relative to each other. You can make a more informed decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5M_BQI1 ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP_psV0 ... ata_player

The 42s, by report, will not be made after this year. The newer ones have rough unpolished handles.

A new Balisong line designed by LooseyFur/Knifezoid called Bladerunners will have two prototypes made in the upcoming weeks. The prototypes are being worked on by my friend, Matt Cook of Pinoy Knife. These will be a Balisong designed by people who flip Balisongs. Ergonomics and action will be maximized for that purpose.

Nathan Dewey is a new knifemaker creating some good reasonably priced knives such as The Fiend. They are evolving and are vert good for the money.
Viking45

Re: What Balisong Should I Buy?

Post by Viking45 »

Thanks for keeping this section alive CDR. It always bugs me when people ask questions and no one responds.
Even if I don't have any answers I still try to reply and at least point them in the right direction.(Let them know someone cares anyway)

I know very little about Bali's so any info is always appreciated.
Knowing what I know now I wish i would have bought a nice Benchmade or the Pacific something or other back in the 80's.
A small knife shop carried them but I was more into fixed blades back then.

Again thanks for coming to this section and helping out. You seem to be the leading authority so far as to value and just basic info on Bali's.
Even though I'm not a huge fan of the butterfly I wouldn't mind having a nice one. 8)
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

Viking45 wrote:Thanks for keeping this section alive CDR. It always bugs me when people ask questions and no one responds.
Even if I don't have any answers I still try to reply and at least point them in the right direction.(Let them know someone cares anyway)

I know very little about Bali's so any info is always appreciated.
Knowing what I know now I wish i would have bought a nice Benchmade or the Pacific something or other back in the 80's.
A small knife shop carried them but I was more into fixed blades back then.

Again thanks for coming to this section and helping out. You seem to be the leading authority so far as to value and just basic info on Bali's.
Even though I'm not a huge fan of the butterfly I wouldn't mind having a nice one. 8)
I'm no expert. I have a few knives. I'm just getting into flipping. However, I'm practicing daily to try to catch up to the Baligods of Flipping. I think I will concentrate on flipping a few knives to help me get better. What I have been doing was flip the dozen or more benchmades and try to do the same things. I need to expand my ability and there's a few moves that I need to improve upon before making a production video. I've been posting clips of just practicing with most of my stuff.

Anyways, I like to see what the different knives do or allow me to do. I flip whatever I have. I don't care if I mess it up because they're all mine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I see the volume of posts dwindle here. I like to stimulate ANY discussion. I realize they're not for everyone. That's ok by me. It leaves more for me to buy. Hahahahaha!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Yeah, I'm with CDR. I flip my current balis and any expensive balis I get in the future I will flip too.

I collect stilettos, I would be interested in an OLD stiletto that I will never open, and I also might sell a collectable stiletto to another collector.

But, with balisongs, I get them to use them. They wont sit in a shadow box or any display were they are not easily accessible. I buy to use, not awe over. Any balisong I buy, I plan on keeping and either breaking myself or giving to my son/daughter (when I have one). (Or my younger cousin who is also into balisongs (Shes still learning though)).
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. StepDaddy is our resident expert on all things Bali - But, alas, since the birth of his second child, (a son), he doesn't have much time for us anymore...

I bought my BM42 many moons ago thanks to his mos' excellent advice...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. StepDaddy is our resident expert on all things Bali - But, alas, since the birth of his second child, (a son), he doesn't have much time for us anymore...

That's cool Jerr,I didn't know you had yourself a Bali. Seems you got the one everyone speaks highly of.
I have looked around a bit and I can see why the 42 is popular,it's my fave and it's a nice size. Sure like to have one.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. StepDaddy is our resident expert on all things Bali - But, alas, since the birth of his second child, (a son), he doesn't have much time for us anymore...

The 42 is nice but the 43 is the best.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Nah, I like the looks of the 47 best.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:Nah, I like the looks of the 47 best.
Really?

I have both anyways. LOL!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I see what you mean- I like the 43 better. 8)