Balisong Trainers

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

Balisong Trainers

Post by CDR_Glock »

I know this gets discussed to death. There are schools of thought that one should learn from cuts and pain to manipulate a knife. Other mindsets are to practice on a trainer. For basic maneuvers I think it's ok to use a live blade. For aerials/rollovers, I think a trainer has a beneficial role.

I have tried CCCs that last only a few weeks (hitting ceramic tile is unforgiving). Unfortunately, the CCCs are made of diecast steel that cracks, like Zamak handles on the 1980s Benchmade Balisongs.

My BM 40TR is solid and has been almost indestructable except for the tang pin that came loose - Lifesharp fixed it. However, they have become cost prohibitive. I got my daughter 2 trainers, a 24 cm Kamagong FHM, and a Spyderco G10 Smallfly - she has claimed the 40TR for herself, also. I have a Kamagong 29 cm trainer myself.

I have sold a few knives and I get asked for recommendations for what to use.

Here are my recommendations:

Bradley Kimura - Use a sander and make the edge dull and take the point off. It's virtually indestructable. For under $100, you can afford to modifiy this.

FHM Trainer - preferable with the rounded blade and holes in the blade, but pointed tips are ok, also. The negative is that they require a break in, but now that I have almost 2 dozen of them, I just loosen the handles in the open position ever so slightly and add oil. You can see my break in method if you want to go the slow route - > Youtube titaniummd (How to break in an FHM).

Knifekits - Tsunami or Typhoon, if you can still find one.

Benchmade 40TR - for the crazy prices, I don't think it's a good option. I have seen them for $300+++ If you can find one for $120 or less, snatch it up. NOT for much more than than.

I have limited experience with Bear and Sons trainers. I bought one for my Godson but I cannot attest to the torture that I subject them to receiving. You can certainly buy one of the Bear and Sons Balisongs and make those dull, too, in theory but I don't know how well they hold up, either.