anodized titanium and kydex.

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gonzo_Beyondo

anodized titanium and kydex.

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

I have two questions...

I know from some experience that Kydex will make marks on blades. Depending on the finish of the blade, or handles, where kydex makes contact, this may be permanant.

I would like a Kydex Bali sheath, but i'm also seriously considering leather, because... i don't want to damage the anodized finish on my BM 42a handles.

What would you folks think? Anyone have a anodized bali which is frequently in & out of kydex? How has it affected the finish? I'm not sure if it would rub/scratch the color right off, or if the finish is tougher than the kydex. I don't know what to think.

Second, whether i go with kydex or leather, i'm not sure who to talk to. Can you recommend some people or places who make sheaths in kydex and/or leather? I'm interested in both production stuff as well as custom work, so any info given would be helpfull.

Thanks!
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

I've never had a problem with my 47A,
but I use my hands to pry the sheath apart before I take the knife in/out...

Anyway, if you buy a sheath to carry your knife in, I assume its gonna be a user knife? If so, some scratches shouldn't bother you.
I think the Anodized finish is tougher than the normal Ti finish.
The normal Ti has scratched on my knives, but not the Anodized... Could be from different amount of use.

Knifezilla has a bunch of cool carry rigs.

Mr_G
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm not sure kydex scratches but it can attract things that will.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Thanks for the replies.

On a coated blade, like my CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion (fixed) the sheath has caused marks in the finish.

If kydex will do that same thing to my BM handles, then it's outta the question. It's a carrier, and a flipper, not a cutter... My own usage of the knife would not damage the finish. An occasional scratch here or there i could deal with, not big ol' gaping rub marks tho. If i did'nt care for the handles, i would have got a SS version instead. Know what i'm sayin'?
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Unfortunately, if you're worried about the anodizing, both the kydex and the leather will cause rub marks. The kydex will do it much faster, and the leather more slowly over time.

The best kydex rig are by Clay, and only Knifezilla has them. Leather wise, there's quite a few that does very good work. From serious pros like Ken Rowe to the forum guys like Gary Grayley, Dave Abramson (lifter4him on the forums), or Duane (leatherman on the forums).

Happy shopping.
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Yep, Gary or Duane it will probably be :)

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking leather would be the way to go, and i'll eventually just get a "carry" bali to use with it.

The BM 42a i have incoming is #300-something of 500 in the first run, and while that may not make it more valuable, it's not something i want to mess up for no good reason, know what i mean?

i got some cheepahs for that purpose. er, cheetahs i mean. they don't need you to mess them up, they mess themselves up just fine :)

i'm thinking a dragonfly will make a good compromise.