Typical PC knife.

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
warren2009

Typical PC knife.

Post by warren2009 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3WJ3XllQpU

By the looks of this thing your more likely to slice your fingers every time you try and open it. :?

i just had a great PC idea, why not invent a "switchblade" that looks like a switchblade but doesnt actually open AT ALL.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
"A British man was arrested today and his computer seized after it was found to have images of ILLEGAL KNIVES on the hard drive."
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Typical PC knife.

Post by JerrBear »

warren2009 wrote: i just had a great PC idea, why not invent a "switchblade" that looks like a switchblade but doesnt actually open AT ALL.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Mr. warren2009,

BLOODY BRILLIANT! :P

Probably still wouldn't satisfy that crowd!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
lime*

Post by lime* »

From the makers of....

Imo, this knife is the result of flawed logic. I'm not a knife maker, but i am a designer, and any designer that forces the operator to use both hands when 1 hand is the ideal, is delivering a poor product. The idea for this knife was conceived by designers paying close attention to ridiculous legislation, some of which is supposedly aimed at protecting the general public. The irony is, this knife is unsafe for the general public. "The knife wants to stay closed" he says, and specifically mentions how not to be cut by this knife. All the awkward manipulation involved with opening and closing this knife makes it less safe than a standard 1 hand opener.

God forbid you have to cut a seat belt after an automobile accident and this is the only knife available, you'd better hope any injuries sustained do not effect full mobility of both arms.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Typical of Cold Steel all their stuff is over pricedd and pretentious. The demonstrator says it makes a good "pocket" stick. Well so does a roll of quarters and you can at least use them for a parking meter.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The [semi] logic behind it is, to make it legal in areas that outlaw Bali knives but I doubt those areas will consider the difference enough to exempt it :?
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

So it is for people who want a knife that "looks' like a balisong even though something like a Swiss Army knife would be more practical in areas where butterfly knives are illegal.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IF, the authorities, in a given area, accecpt it is NOT a Bali and IF you can, with practice, open it one handed, it would have some [slight] advantage. But there are a lot of "ifs" there :lol:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I just saw this knife for the first time a few days ago and thought "huh?"
Must agree with Vagrant- If you were caught with this knife it would be considered illegal simply by the design alone.
I gave up on Cold Steel when they stopped making the Carbon V knives in the USA and went to China. Recon Scout,Trail Master,Recon Tanto etc.

I do however like the Japanese made Tai Pan and the San Mai Trail Master.

It will always baffle my mind when I think of switchblades and Bali's being illegal when a 10 inch Bowie is ALWAYS ready and faster,deadlier and legal. :roll:
Even with an ATS 34 steel blade in a stiletto-style knife,it would not slice through a leather jacket without the spine failing first....poke a hole yes but not slash.
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I don't see the big deal with it either way. But then again, I'm not too interested in balisongs anyway. A lot of people, including me, are attracted to particular knives due to the way they look. And if this is a design that you like the look of, why not get one? I agree that they do seem overpriced.

If it was double-edged, it would make a lot more sense to me, as the top handle would also be protecting an edge (or rather, protecting you from the edge). And if this primarily a self-defense weapon (as almost everything Cold Steel sells seems to be!) that would be one advantage over a regular butterfly knife. I don't know anything about flipping balisongs, but I think a double edge is out of the question.

I prefer the Black Rock Hunter, which is basically the same design, and about half the price of the Paradox. There is absolutely no chance that either one could close on you while you are using it- almost like a folding fixed blade.

I have many knives that I carry that cannot be opened with one hand, so the fact that it takes 2 hands to open doesn't bother me at all. I don't think I've ever closed a slip-joint on my fingers. It's basically just a double slip-joint.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

lime* wrote:From the makers of....

Seems like I recall an article on that revolver- If I'm not mistaken it is a real/functioning pistol and was designed and built for a trick shooter.

Anyone have more info?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

That's a photoshopped russian Nagant revolver.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
1joel8

Post by 1joel8 »

he says you can drop it and it wont happen but with a balisong it would, but when im not using my balisong or i first take it out their is a latch wich prevents that.. WHAT IS HE THINKING?!?! :?: :?: :(
KMNREMTP

Post by KMNREMTP »

wish i'd've done more research/read this post before now. I just got one for Christmas, nice knife- seems like an overtightened balisong.... i LOVE the look/feel of the knife, but i definatly wish i could flip it.... it ain't over til the fat lady sings though, we'll find a way to open it one handed. even if i have to give it to my grandfather (has 1 arm, and refuses to be told that he can't do something) he builds sheds, works on lawn-mowers, folds clothes (including towels) dresses himself... buttons n all! he's truly determined to do ANYTHING a 2 handed person can do with 1hand.
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

Viking45 wrote:I gave up on Cold Steel when they stopped making the Carbon V knives in the USA and went to China. Recon Scout,Trail Master,Recon Tanto etc.
I think the Carbon V knives were made by Camillus, who went out of business a few years ago. I still want to find me a Carbon V Twistmaster.