Everyone's first Balisong?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
kiki47

Re: Everyone's first Balisong?

Post by kiki47 »

My first Bali was the one I found in my grandfather's office, an old Filipino model, which was no longer sharp and with which I made my mark. Currently I am looking for my next model: p
Sorry for my English, I'm French.
See you later
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Mine was the a chinese model that they used to sell on bladeplay called the tank. I got a jaguar with it too but the jag broke. I eventually gave the tank to a close buddy for her birthday.
She was big into native american stuff so i boxed it up with some peyote and some hawk feathers as a coming of age present for her 18th birthday (not something I would ever do now)

I replaced it when I graduated highschool. My father gave me a new Bradley Mayhem (made by Benchmade) and a laptop as a graduation present. The laptop is gone but I still have the Bradley knife and it's still tight and smooth even after I EDCd it for a few years.

Many years ago I was hanging out with a woman I had met and noticed 2 balis on a desk in her house. They were the same exact models, the tank and jaguar, balis I started out with. She told me that they were her boyfriend's knives. It seems he had done the same research I had and bought the exact 2 knives I had.
Those knives sparked one of the first conversations I ever had with him.
Years later he's one of my best friends.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
spsgold

Post by spsgold »

My first was a Kelgin, brass with walnut inlays. Purchased it from a local hardware store back in the day for around $20 if I remember correctly, that was a loooong time ago. LoL
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

spsgold wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 pm My first was a Kelgin, brass with walnut inlays. Purchased it from a local hardware store back in the day for around $20 if I remember correctly, that was a loooong time ago. LoL
So is this thread but I like to see some of these sleepers woken up again!
2024 candidate for president
spsgold

Post by spsgold »

sammy the blade wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:27 pm
spsgold wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 pm My first was a Kelgin, brass with walnut inlays. Purchased it from a local hardware store back in the day for around $20 if I remember correctly, that was a loooong time ago. LoL
So is this thread but I like to see some of these sleepers woken up again!
Haha ya it's been a while since I've been on this site, but I agree, some of these old threads need "Wakin Up!"
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

An original Pacific Cutlery Weehawk. Loved the knife but someone offered me too much money for it and ...
ThierryCoch

Post by ThierryCoch »

Just moved in France where balisongs are legal to have and got my first butterfly knife ! I definitely recommend this website to order from if you're living in France but was wondering if you guys would have other suggestions to buy great pieces?
mbnjknifemaker

Post by mbnjknifemaker »

It's hard to say, my first balisong was either a Pakistani all steel 5 inch bought at a flea market, or one of those Hackman copies you could buy at K-Mart for $3. I remember with the Hackman copy I took a spring from a clothespin, straightened it out and heated one end then jammed it into the plastic handle. When I unlocked the latch, it would spring open and I was pleased as punch with it. I still have 5 Gutmann FHM in the box that I picked up in the mid 80's, I think.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 11204 times

My first was bought by me in the Philippines pearl handle 9” long super thin blade.

This is the one I have 50 years later
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I've only ever owned one butterfly knife, the one pictured below is not it, but it is an identical model, a Parker Cut Co. brand knife. I acquired the knife from a friend when I was 15, and it was my carry knife at home, but never away from home. I spent hours "flipping" it open and got pretty good.

Here's a story about that knife-

As a teenager, when my father was away, or asleep, home defense was my responsibility. It was not unusual for my mother to call upon me to investigate a noise outside our house at night. Mom knew I could handle myself so she wasn't concerned about my safety.

One night while dad was asleep, my mother, my older sister, and a female friend of my sister were watching a movie in our living room when my mom called me from my bedroom. As a matter of habit I automatically grabbed my carry knife (my butterfly knife) and stuck it in my pocket before I went out to see what mom wanted.

Mom told me she had heard a noise outside, and without a word, without skipping a beat, I pulled the knife from my pocket, performed a perfect flip and twist opening, and headed towards the front door to go outside and investigate. Neither my mother nor my sister had any reaction at all to my actions, to them this was perfectly normal, but as I turned towards the door I saw the look on the face of my sisters friend, she was looking at me in silent shock, eyes wide, mouth hanging open. She was clearly not accustomed to such an occurrence.

I walked around the perimeter of our house, but didn't find anything, it was likely just an animal.

Eventually the pivots of the knife got really sloppy loose, and one of the buffalo horn handle scales fell off (just glued on), and so I lost interest in the knife.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Mine was a Christmas present from my older brother when I was, I think, 13. Japanese made, solid brass handles with scrolling on them. Satin finish on the 440 stainless blade. It had "Fury" or maybe "Fury ll" and a dragon on the blade in black print. When I was 15, I loaned it to some girl I knew for her walk home one night and she never returned it. Several years ago I found one almost identical at a flea market and snapped it up. The only difference was no printing on the blade. Same 440 satin stainless, same scrolling on the brass, same clip point. It's now my 17 year old son's.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I probably already answered this question a couple times in this thread seeing the age and length, but never owned one except one I got in a lot buy. It was a Bear and Son.
I gave it to somebody from this forum.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Like Kilgar, my first bali was a Parker Gypsy.
Mine was the model pictured below.
Attachments
gypsy1.jpg
gypsy1.jpg (560.54 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
prober996

Post by prober996 »

I bought this Bali-Song USA Weehawk knife in late 1979. The 3.375" blade was ground by Jody Samson himself. I recently sold this knife, as well as a few others from my collection, to fund some new purchases.
IMG_5424.JPEG
IMG_5424.JPEG (115.34 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_5423.JPEG
IMG_5423.JPEG (143.11 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_5421.JPEG
IMG_5421.JPEG (333.85 KiB) Viewed 9918 times