question, need help

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
screamdudeguy

question, need help

Post by screamdudeguy »

I am new to balisongs and i am looking to get a benchmade 42 but i have question, should i get a spring latch or a t latch or does it even matter, i am afraid that if i get a spring latch, that i can't do tricks with the knife because i may accidently close the knife completely but i am afraid if i get the t latch, that the t latch will get in the way of tricks, what should i do, thanx. Joe
Zack

Post by Zack »

I have a BM 42, a 42MC, and a 41MC... All three have spring latches. Personally, in my humble opinion, the spring latch is the way to go. If you want to start with a less expensive bali with a t latch, there's a way to keep the latch from impacting the blade and/or the other handle. Put a couple small o rings on the shaft of the latch, and they will hold it nicely out of the way.

The big difference with a spring latch is that it will release and snap open straight with the hancle when you squeeze the handles together, both in the open or closed position. Believe me, THAT'S nice.

The BMs are worth it. They are top shelf when it comes to smoothness, lockup, and overall quality. And, relatively speaking, not all that pricey...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro".
-Hunter S. Thompson-
kozak6

Post by kozak6 »

The spring latch is probably better. I would say it's even less likely to accidently latch than a T-latch would be.

The T-latch does get in the way every now and then, but it's no big problem.
Help, my avatar is broken