Let see some filework

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr claudster,

it looks good from afar, but closer inspection you would be able to see how uneven it is! also i had a hard time rounding things out.....
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Mr. Bigg,
Until your happy with what your working on I would buy some cheapos and perfect your filework until your satisfied with it. On that blade of yours, I would use very fine emery clouth and wrap it around a small file and slowly smooth it out. Just take your time and remember don't use the dremmel to much. You can't put the metal back once its gone.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well here's my second attempt, check out the cool vise i picked up! this thing suctions to any smooth surface, and can swivel 360 degrees, a very good vise for doing filework! also spent my whole allowance on new files and more dremel gadgets.....

this one is actually better than it looks in the pic, so i think i may be getting the hang of this...

PS: everyone tells me i should see knives101 - but i must be suffering from early senility,
cause i can't find a link to it, or remember where i saw it.......anyone?

PSS: mr claudster - these are cheapo's, unless you buy them from GA_knife co....and his are "rare" too :wink:
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

http://forums.delphiforums.com/knife101 Here you go mrbigg! :wink: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. Bigg,
I see your getting into it, Lookin GOOD! I bought the very same vise because it was portable and it really holds.I haven't been doing much now that summers here, to busy with the other part of life. Now all you need is a couple of buffing machines and that will put the total look to it.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

For the budget minded mangler looking for tools, go to http://www.homier.com. I bought a grinder there for 10 bucks. Not the best in the world but add a few buffing wheels and it will soften your filework for you. I've got another flexi shaft grinder coming this week for $20. The tools are made overseas but they all work fine.

Good Luck.......................

Don't fret on the Bali, The filework looks great!

Bill
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr claudster, mr cigarman...and thanks for the link mr SLK!

yeah, not a bad vise for the price!

so you recomend a full size buffing wheel? any particular compound i should use? i have a full size buffing wheel at work, but i don't feel like dismantling our grinder, so i'll mount it vertically in a drill press and crank up the RPM!

oh yeah, one more question - what is the largest size chainsaw file you use? i have three sizes up to0 3/16" but i was thinking a 1/4" might be useful...you guys ever use one that big? i found that when i started my round cuts 1/4" apart, with a 3/16" file, it was spaced out too much, making it harder to round it out in between!?! does that make sense?
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. BIGG,
On the buffing wheels, because I went into like nutso I bought three grinders
and use five of the wheels for buffing. I use red,black,white and either a jewelers rouge or harbor freight has a blue which Nemo recommended.
I do the same as you when I start, 1/4" but I change the bevel on different blades just to get change. To smooth out those rounds you can use
00000 steel wool also and then buff. The files, I'm not sure what I use but I bought everyone they had for chain saws. I haven't been working on
anything lately so when I get out to my shop I'll look and let you know.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I bought the ultmate cheapie, a buffing wheel that attatches to my cordless drill. Put the knife in the vise and buff away, works pretty good, but Ill have to get a real one if I want to get serious about it, but right now, im just playing w/ it.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

if ya missed this one, i just love it.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

that's really cool mr benny! did you do that?
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

no, tho I am going to attempt to replicate it at some point... very unique "seahorse" pattern.
Phil Tham did it.
Im considering getting one of his knives at the moment... wish he did autos.
Here's the specs...
OAL: 6 3/4", 3 7/8" Closed
Blade: ATS-34, 2 3/4"
Bolsters: Sakmar Mokume (ladder)
Scales: Mother of Pearl
Liners: Jeweled/Anodized Titanium
416ss backspacer w/sea horse filework

http://www.thamknives.com/
thegreatone

Post by thegreatone »

BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

thats very cool and unique filework indeed.
mr_castle

Post by mr_castle »

ok here is some i have done hope you like it

the anticipation of death,is worse than death itself !!!