Let see some filework

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Benny,
Keep it up ..you will get the hang of it..once you get used to the patterns then you can refine it and almost make it look 3-D...it really is fun and the ideas are limitless...I would start with a vine pattern and go from there...if you need any more pics just holler... :D ......Nemo
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

MrBigg.....I got a side view of the filework for ya..right below is the knife all finished.....just click the link in my first post again.....Nemo
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr nemo!

i guess the narrow cuts are all dremel?

again, beautiful work!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You got it...you can make the cuts with the dremel....then follow up with a small file to fine tune them.......Nemo
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

what model dremel are you guys using... Ive seen a one speed 35k rpm at the local hardware store... or would a 2 speed be better for this?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The variable speed would be best. [Much better control].
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

thanks- time to go get another tool :D :D :D :D

found this little corner of the web that might help some of us newbies
http://www.homestead.com/beknivessite2/ ... ework.html
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

BennytheBlade,
I bought the cordless dremel, I think its a model 7200 because I didn't want
the cord in my way and thought it might be like a electric engraving tool which is easy to use. I also got a extra battery just in case I would be in the middle of a blade. It works great! I had tried my variable speed dremel that I've had for years but the cordless was more comfortable and I think I have more control. Heres one I did last week.
The Claudester
Last edited by Claudester on Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

[quote="BennytheBlade"]thanks- time to go get another tool :D :D :D :D

found this little corner of the web that might help some of us newbies
[url]http://www.homestead.com/beknivessite2/ ... ework.html[/url][/quote]
That is a great tutorial...one of the best I have seen!......Nemo
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Nemo, Hows it goin?
My thoughts are the same. Pictures are worth a thousand words. It was the same with that class you gave on the Mikov, I can read over instructions a bunch of times but to see it , WAA LAA! On that sight you are refuring to,he
mentions using sandpaper to smooth out the rounds. What say YE about that.
I was thinking maybe some emery paper because mine are still turning out kind of hard looking. I guess that flow isn't there yet.
The Claudester
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Mr Claudester-
you say yours a hard looking, but the picture looks VERY nice... good work. Maybe you guys saw the double arrowhead filework tutorial, havent seen too many knives w/ that pattern...http://www.homestead.com/beknivessite2/ ... ework.html
if any of you have a good pic of something like that, I would love to see it (yes, im begging :wink: )
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Claudster,
I use and old drywall sanding pad that has been worn down to about 2000 grit...they are kinda spongy so it can be perfect for getting in there and smoothing things out...it will help smooth the rounds and open up the vines a little more....then to the buffer... :D ....PS Your filework is looking good my friend.....Nemo
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

Nemo wrote:
Causeway wrote:This is my first attempt at trying file work.It didn't come out like i wanted to but it was ok for a first try.
http://home.attbi.com/~arokiem/filework.html
I used needle files the diamond types are great.
Tell and Grobet make great files that last a long time.
Great job!..very detailed...now just hit it with some 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper and watch it shine...it will make your "dark" areas more pronounced...you must have better eyes than me... :) .....Nemo
Awsome..I will try that one Nemo :)
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Just finished my first buffalo horn on a Mikov with file work, double vane including the blade.
I was surprised how nice the horn was to work with. I'm wondering if anyone has done the
same as file work only to the scales.

Last edited by Claudester on Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Wow, some nice filework there guys!!!

Here is my first attempt at filework on a cheepie folder I did a while back. This was done freehand while watching TV. I was trying to do the vine filework from that link that Bennie posted.

After initial fileing.

After sanding and a little polishing.