Carbon Fiber

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
georgeg3

Carbon Fiber

Post by georgeg3 »

Someone sent me some blocks of carbon fiber. I cut it into scale sizes and started shaping it on the sander, but it created piles of nasty black dust. I buffed some of it, but all it did was make it look like a shiny piece of black crap.

I don't know what it was originally used for (fuel rod casings?), and thought better of taking the experiement any further.

Anyone else had any experience using carbon fiber?

Not glowing yet...
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Cool,
I never seen any shiny black crap :lol:
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

georgeg3
I'll tell you one think Carbon Fiber dust is highly toxic and dangerous to the lungs. It's in the top 5 scale materials that are horrendous to work with and some are woods. I sure hope you use a good resperator and have a good exaust system when working with the stuff.
PB
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

OOOOPPPPPPPS!
I guess it isn't shiny black crap after all. :roll:
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

That's it. This shiny black crap is getting the boot. That is, unless someone else would like me to send them about 10 pounds of toxic, shiny black crap.

I used a regular dust mask, and my high-tech exhaust system is a box fan in the doorway of the shed.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The material itself is fine. Its when you start grinding and sanding the danger sets in. I'm not sure who on here uses it even Bill. But you can google it and find other knife forums where makers use it for scales and talk to them. Modern material for modern knives. G-10 is another time bomb when working with it as is Cocobolo and Desert Ironwood. You would think the manmade chemical stuff like G-10 would be dangerous but not wood from nature but the worst is the Desert Ironwood to work with.
PB
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Georgeg3,
When I first started playing around with modding I didn't know about the side effects of some of the woods I was sanding and got kinda sick off a couple of them. You gotta be carefull! Now back to this shiny black crap :lol:
JohanB

Post by JohanB »

My tip is;

stick to un-toxic woods and if you do use plastic materials or other toxic stuffs, be sure to use a respirator......
hum.....Can i use a personal logo here ?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"hum.....Can i use a personal logo here" ?

PM Arthus and ask him :!:
brandon

Post by brandon »

if you wanna send some of that stuff my way to mess with it would be greatly appreciated....
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

PM me with your mailing address. I've got plenty.