MOP - how to take care?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Simeon

MOP - how to take care?

Post by Simeon »

I'm sorry if this is faq, but anyway:

Got my first MOP inlay knife (PT Godson) and was just wondering if the scales need some kind of "service" now and then...?

Oh yes, I'm going to use that knife. It won't spend it's life sitting in a display box...
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Until Der Meister posts, the only advice I have is don't drop it :idea:
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Glad it wasn't anything like "better to put it in drawer and only take a look at weekends" :wink: :lol:
That's what I was afraid to hear... :roll:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

This is a good question because the only problem I ever found which really isn't a problem is MOP tends to yellow as it ages. Your a smart man Al to many times I have fallen victim to the prince of darkness.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Simeon wrote:Thanks :)

Glad it wasn't anything like "better to put it in drawer and only take a look at weekends" :wink: :lol:
That's what I was afraid to hear... :roll:
Experience has shown me that, getting it in and out of a drawer is an excellent time to drop it :( I had an Abalone handle sccrewdriver I made [forged the blade myself] and I used it for everything it took me two years until I dropped it on concrete. Now I have a MOP handled one. It's lasted three years [so far].
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:This is a good question because the only problem I ever found which really isn't a problem is MOP tends to yellow as it ages. Your a smart man Al to many times I have fallen victim to the prince of darkness.
PB
That two-timer :!: He told me I was the "only one in his life" :x
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Vagrant is right! Pearl is strong, but brittle. It really requires no care, but it will scratch. The scratches can be sanded/polished out.
Bill
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Pushbutton wrote:only problem I ever found which really isn't a problem is MOP tends to yellow as it ages
PB
I think it isn't any problem for me either. I think turning to yellow just gives character to it.

I wonder if anybody has noticed how dying apple can be? Maybe hard to believe, but I have damascus blade lockback and peeling apples :shock: has turned part of the blade darker than it used to be.
And one of friends-friend (who makes wines for sale) said that apples dye (tint) the clothes they use in press much more than any other.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Vagrant is right! Pearl is strong, but brittle. It really requires no care, but it will scratch. The scratches can be sanded/polished out.
Bill
Thanks, Bill :)
However, and as said in another reply, I don't mind dying and/or small scratches; they just only give character, IMHO.
Glad to hear there's a way to get rid of them, if needed :)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Dying, coloring, staining can occur with many fruits. I've never cut many apples but all citrus fruit, onions, and tomatos are offenders. Steak can do it but it may be the steak sauce ? Someday it might be interesting to try different ones and see if any might have an unusually good color to the stain. Simple carbon steels [O-1, 1095, W-1] stain quickly and easily and once stained seem to have a slight increase in their [non-existant] rust resistance :idea: Many Damascus steels are just two different carbon steels so they behave in a similar manner. Yes I know there are stainless Damascus and Steel/Nickle Damascus etc but the carbon steel ones are most common in hand forged knives.