Humpback

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mr_edge

Humpback

Post by mr_edge »

Hi Bill,

My best friend's Dad has had a stiletto ever since I've known him...almost 20yrs. It belonged to his late brother-in-law. I recalled that he had a switchy and asked to have a look at it for shits and giggles, because I had no recollection of what it looked like. Turns out that it is a 7" humpback with beautiful dark horn. It's in all around good shape with a little TLC needed. I have been begging him to sell it to me, but the knife is the only keepsake he has of his brother-in-law and he swears he'll will it to me.
If I can talk him in to it, are they rare? What would be fair? I'm sorry, I have no pics yet.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They are pretty rare.
Bill
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx for the reply Bill. I'll post pics if I can sometime soon. I do recall tthat the stamp was INOX.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

When are people going to catch on and stop referring to a knife with INOX stamped on it like it's worth a fortune. That and Rosterferi. Those words are meaningless it's the Europeon version of Stainless or won't rust. If you had a big ass American Tactical that was only marked Stainless Steel would you make a big deal out of it or simply say. There are no stampings other then SS. I go to E-Bay and everyone and there uncle are selling INOX made knives form Italy or they are made by that famous switchblade mfg co Rosterferi's. Ok that was the extent of todays rant. 8)
PB
I want to go on record as saying this Rant had nothing to do with Mr Edge and I should have been more thoughtful where I posted it instead of under his thread.
Last edited by Pushbutton on Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

No need to rant Mr PB. I'm well aware of what INOX makes reference to and wasn't implying that it referred to a maker. Just trying to paint a clearer picture of the knife.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A dealer at a gun show insisted that INOX was a company that was famous for their quality knives :roll: A quick trip to the car and I returned with an INOX pos clone and a higher quality INOX :wink: He claimed the pos was an economy line they discontinued because it didn't fit their image :shock:
All of us know the meaning but this dealers explanation for the reason the good one also said Wilkenson was "They own them too" :lol:
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Here is a pic of it. The pic is garbage, but I'll get better pics of it this weekend at his Stag and Doe. Hopefully I can get his Dad drunk enough to sell it to me!!

Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Nice knife Mr Edge. Bill whats a short history of the humpback? Early 60's then they decided to go with the swival?
PB
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I want to talk more about INOX, O.K.
I just bought two older swing guards and on each tang is stamped INOXID on one side and Patent on the other. What the heck is INOXID? Anyone know?
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Basically the same as INOX. Meaning Inoxidable or stainless.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Invest quite a bit on the booze! Very nice! It is a leaf spring, right?
Pushbutton- I think the humpbacks and lockbacks were just another locking method to the Italians. These knives were made in the mid 1950s, and possibly later. I have an 8" model that I bought from the original owner. He told me the knife is at least 50 years old. I work with the gent, and I questioned him intensely about the age. He said he was sure.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The French often write Inox and steel type such as - Inox 12c27 [roughly 420 stainless]
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Invest quite a bit on the booze! Very nice!
Bill
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah...I had to control myself from drooling all over it when he showed me it. It is indeed a leaf spring. I wish the pic had shown the release button better. I had thought all humpbacks had rounded release buttons, similar to the modern rear lockback releases. This one has a more squared or "trapezoidal" shaped button. It did not appear to have been ground into that shape. I will post better pics soon. Thanks very much for your input Bill.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I took a quick peak at RagtimeRed's site. Here's a beautiful example of the exact same knife.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Except Red's is a 9", and mine is an 8". These are pretty rare knives. I saw an 11" at the Blade show.
Bill