Coil spring straightening

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Twobit

Re: Coil spring straightening

Post by Twobit »

Got it, Bill. Thanks. Gonna give the cold forming a go first. Maybe do one spring cold and anneal the other and see which one fires better. One thing is certain; I have plenty of donor springs to experiment with!
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

You're Doing it the hard way . .
Unless you WANT to learn heat treating.
I never had much luck . . but I didn't try very hard.

I'd start with big piano wire, for a straight kick spring in a Rizzy.
Buy it on eBay. Cut it and cold bend it just once. . no re-bending. . .

Buy smaller wire to wind a coil spring. . . wind it smaller, it sort of relaxes bigger.
no heat treating involved.

Make 200 of them until one comes out right.
Make yourself a $80 kickspring for a $30 knife.
(just joking)

after a while, you grow a collection of piano wire and other stuff.
In the beginning it's hard . .everything is so deliberate. . .like BBQ steaks. . .
Later it becomes like cooking hot dogs. . .you can always burn another.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

JerryK, the coil springs are free, and being a welder with over thirty years experience, while I'm not a metallurgist, I do have a bit of metallurgical knowledge. I can control a torch and "read" the color of the metal. I just needed to be told what to look for. I know cherry red from "about to liquefy" yellow.