Taiwanese rehab

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Twobit

Taiwanese rehab

Post by Twobit »

I moved over here to the appropriate forum because this is now officially my first rescue project. I'm thinking I'll try to make all new scales as these have seen better days.
Edit: what I thought was the stub of a broken kick spring was actually the spring retainer which is of one piece with the back spring.
Attachments
IMG_20240115_100234465_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240115_100234465_HDR.jpg (893.44 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
sammy the blade

Re: Taiwanese rehab

Post by sammy the blade »

Good luck and show us your progress!
2024 candidate for president
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Will do, Sammy!
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Credit to XBMX as the seller of the one that jolted my memory.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

The back spring had some pitting that I didn't feel was properly addressed by the wire wheel and it was inset from the liners just a hair so I took care of both issues on the belt sander. I'm thinking a further disassembly is going to be necessary to address what I feel is excessive front to back play. Look at the rivet acting as the pivot pin. A) is this commonly available? B) any reason I couldn't use a solid pin?
Attachments
IMG_20240115_130419709_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240115_130419709_HDR.jpg (639.6 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
IMG_20240115_123243381.jpg
IMG_20240115_123243381.jpg (379.68 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

The liners seem to be particularly flimsy. I'm wondering about welding some kind of stiffeners along the length, to be hidden by the scales and bolsters. I think that some inward flex is rubbing on the blade and impeding free swing -out.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Well, looks like I'm definitely gonna have to replace the scales. I had the main assembly soaking in laquer thinner, dumped it out after the soak, then put all the parts in the little tub I was using for the soak. Well, there was some residue left and it melted a smooth spot on the front scale. I was pretty sure I was making new ones anyway. Challenge accepted. :)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have a parts knife you can have. I thought it might have a couple good scales but they are busted. Spring and the plastic safety slide are also missing, so not much you need unless you end up removing the blade. This blade looks shiny new. And the bolsters might be a little better. If you want it just cover the postage to you.
IMG_20240115_151758692.jpg
IMG_20240115_151758692.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
IMG_20240115_151715473.jpg
IMG_20240115_151715473.jpg (140.12 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
IMG_20240115_151702651.jpg
IMG_20240115_151702651.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
As far as drilling out the hollow rivet pivot pin, I really don't think it would matter replacing it with a solid pin as long as you keep it the same size. I larger diameter pin might mess up the geometry. But I haven't ever tried replacing one. BillD would know for sure.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Whippersnapper, I'd really appreciate that. How's the blade lockup? That looks to be the stickiest issue with this one. Lots of front to back play. I was figuring on clamping chill blocks on the main part and trying to close up the sear with some TIG welding but if the blade and sear of yours are tight that would be a lot easier. I'll see about getting you a money order for $10 sent in the next couple of days if I can get to the PO on lunch otherwise I can't mail it till Friday. Send it the cheapest way you can and keep the rest. Thanks a bunch!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

It has some up and down play. Probably .125 at the blade tip. Also opens kind of hard. Looks like it rubs on one side of the liner.
These things brand new are probably a step below a Rizzuto in quality.

PM me your address and I will try to get it in the mail tomorrow. We have about 3+ feet of snow and been snowed in for 3 days. Finally getting dug out today.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Jeez! What part of Michigan are you in? I lived in the U. P. From '96 to '05. No need to hurry mailing it. I'm taking my time with this, pecking away when I can spare time for it at work. Thanks again!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm close to Greenville. About middle of the LP.. Just tell me where to send it if you want it.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can't replace the pivot rivet with a solid piece, as the front pin needs to go through it-unless you run that pin through the bolsters.
You can tighten the tubing by using a large center punch.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Thank you, Bill, I see what you're talking about. I would then have to drill the holes in the bolsters out bigger. I'll see if I can find the hollow rivet.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Why you have a hollow rivet for a pivot pin.

This knife is designed as a throw-away utility knife.
People will scrape and pry with the blade, not baby it.
The bolsters are thin metal. . . much like an early Shure-Snap.
The hollow rivet will keep the liners pinched tightly to the blade.
The bolsters are secured by the inner pin.

It IS possible to substitute a bigger diameter solid pin, thru bolster and liner.
But with any use, you will loosen the blade,
and be tempted hit the pivot pin to tighten up the blade.

And you will crush the thin bolster.

This happens a lot on Westbury Sales K12-AL,
where you see the bolster is a bit flat, and now WIDER than the liner below.
and the blade is still loose, even though the bolster is snug.

IF YOU FILL THE BOLSTER WITH SOLDER, AND MAKE IT SOLID.
You can use a plain pin in the pivot.

But that is more complex than using a new rivet.
or using a brass inner pin with a hole drilled thru it
for a second bolster pin.

I've mangled about a dozen old Shure-Snaps, and re-assembled them.
Same rivet and bolster technique.

You can go to a Radio Controlled airplane hobby shop and buy brass tubing in many sizes.
and experiment with a ball bearing as an anvil and peen the tubing into a rivet.

You might be able to buy shoelace eyelets . . I'm not sure.