A question for Bill DeShivs

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Twobit

A question for Bill DeShivs

Post by Twobit »

Bill, would it be within the realm of possibility for someone to purchase from you all of the parts to build their own Hubertus shell puller (or other piece of interest - I'm thinking I'm not the only guy on the forum who'd like to know this) in a complete, unassembled kit? If you have a reason you wouldn't do that I understand. If so, how much would it cost said individual? Ok that's more than one question but the second one only counts if the answer to the first is "yes". Very interested to hear from you on this. Thanks,
Luke
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: A question for Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No. I doubt I have much that will simply assemble, without some cutlery repair experience.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

What about some better -than -basic mechanical intuitive skills? I have had my OTF knives apart, souped up the springs, got them back together and working. I use a belt sander, Dremel tool, do work both large scale and miniature. I'm Mr. Fix it on toys, lamps, tools, plumbing and electrical at home and in my place of employment. I don't want to be a pest so if this can't be worked with I'll accept your answer. It's your decision after all and I respect that. Thanks,
Luke
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

As a rule, I don't sell parts.
Should you be interested enough, I suggest buying broken, cheap, or heavily used knives. You can disassemble them, repair/refurbish and reassemble them to get experience with cutlery.
I'm not doubting your abilities, just offering advice. Assembling switchblades can be a lot more complicated than you think. I recently traded for a lot of parts, and without exception they required quite a bit of work to get them together properly.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Okay, Bill. Thanks for the consideration.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Just buy a regular lever lock with the blade style you want and make some shell pullers bolsters for it.

Or commission Bill to do that for you. A few years ago Bill did quite a few if I remember correctly.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I did a BUNCH!