Making a kick spring

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
hebel

Making a kick spring

Post by hebel »

I have to make a kick spring for a side opener switchblade. What is the best steel and the simplest way to make a durable spring? What are the hardening and annealing temperature?
I am a part time knife maker but don't have any experience with springs. Any help is appreciated!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Making a kick spring

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I use 1095 steel.
Heat to bright red and quench. I use canola oil. Water will work, but you risk cracking.
Clean to bright metal, and very gently heat with a low flame to just past blue and let air cool. Be very careful to get the color even.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
hebel

Post by hebel »

Thank you sir! Which exact temperature indicates „bright red“?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Darned if I know- I use a torch. You'll know if the temperature was right if a file skates off the spring, rather than cutting it.

If you are using an oven, you'll have to find a temperature chart. They are available on the web.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. DeShivs-

AS usual, your metallurgical skills, and process explanation clarity qualifies you AS a 'True Scientist' - your descriptions of the color spectrum via heat on the little spring rascal was vivid and yet simple enough for mine conceptual grasp...eye myself am a sorta' scientist of the 'Madness of Roofing'...

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
hebel

Post by hebel »

Do you cut out the spring from steel plate in spring shape? Or is it possible to heat and bend the a thin piece of steel to make it later spring?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can cut the spring straight and then bend it. If the steel is annealed, there is no need to heat it to bend it to shape.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mr. Corpse- I also have been touched by roofing madness- ten grand's worth last week!
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. DeShivs-

I defer to your sharpness of business wits in regards to your recent touching of mad roofness- I am confident that you weren't a blind eye to any inappropriate scammages damages..
However, I , and Doofus Emeritus, would be more than happified to provide you, or anyone you are closely to- a review of roofing problems/causes/stabilization for remedial or roofing replacement, product recommendations for longevity or interim lifespan .
So if'n eye can help, ask away....
However, in today's economy, a $10,000.00 roof is a rather low hit...

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I paid close to 15k for mine, damned inflation.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks. I shopped it for a while and got several quotes.
The roofer that did my shop a few years ago did it. It was a fair price, but it still hurt.
Wally J. Corpse

Greetings, Mr. sammy the blade-

Alas and morass! Why dintcha' avail yourself to the in house Off Topic roofing Mensa team of WJC and DE ?
We would have been glad to review your structure, any substrate damages, and recommend a roofing system/product to suit your desires and needs.
Due to our wide massive and powerful influence, (nation wide), we may been almost practically certainly able to help you spend that k of 15 to our amusement...

AS ever,
Your ol' pal,
Wally J. Corpse
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I bought a metal roof or I wood have sent ya a bm, butt I appreciate the thought. Funny thing is this guy comes out for an estimate dressed like he works in a office. I'm thinking he's going to ask if he could use my ladder so I ask him if he needs one and a tape measure. He says don't need them and he gets the measurements off his laptop from a satellite, scarry shit there. Guess I won't be pissing off the roof anymore. Never know who could be watching anymore, could have been a good thing though.
2024 candidate for president
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Hell, Sammy, give 'em a show. Serves them right for looking. :mrgreen:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

We couldn't get anyone to give us a real quote on a metal roof. All the roofers acted like they didn't really know much about them. There were several companies that supposedly specialized in metal, but they were obviously not businesses I wanted to do business with. The quotes we got were at least double what the conventional roof cost.