Liners Rubbing Blade

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mr_edge

Liners Rubbing Blade

Post by mr_edge »

I posed this question over at knife 101 but I'm better able to show my problem with a pic here. My new campo is awesome, but the liner is rubbing the front of the blade very hard. It's causing some pretty nasty scuffs, but I can't resist play ing with it. Any way of remedying this before I polish the blade up.

Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr_edge,

I'm having a similar problem.... I thought at first that it would be OK after a good clean and polishing up of the liners.... but that didn't seem to make much difference... perhaps there are impurities in the brass of the liners... it's a bit of a pig!!

Best wishes
Teddy
ubernut

Post by ubernut »

I've got the same scratches. Mabe our liners aren't quite straight? I've also cleaned mine up. I do fire it alot . Just can't help it. :)
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I think it's mainly due to the slight taper in the backspring and I understand the horn on these in proned to warping. It's quite common apparently from some of the people I've talked to to. I've been avoiding any polishing in the hopes that the scuffing will discontinue. But the more I play with the better the snap gets on this knife...which is good.
I certainly hope that my question was not interpreted as bitching. I just wanted to see if anyone had some advice to make this a perfect piece. Cheers all!
Skorpion

Post by Skorpion »

I had the same problem with mine. The top scale was warped which in turn was slowing the firing of the knife. I took a piece of 1/4" plexiglass and inserted it in the well and then gently (and I do mean gently) pried the liner a little straighter and stopped the rubbing. The knife then fired much faster and the scuffing stopped. Trouble was that I kept having to do that every day because it would warp back with any temperature change. If anyone tries this fix be careful you don't pop a scale pin or worse...cause a gap between the liner and the backspring. Maybe this is bad advice :?: so try it at your own risk :)
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx Skorpion,

I tried inserting a business card in between the blade and liner when I'm not playing with it. As you say, this works for a while and helps it fire quicker, but it returns back to snug.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most of these knivers have the same problem, plus the fact that squeezing the knife when opening it contributes. As I said on 101, yu can put the knife in an oven at 200 (no more) degrees for 20 minutes, or boil it for 30 minutes (boiling followed by WD 40 bath). Either may help, but should not hurt the knife. The boiling could actually swell the horn, causing further problems.
You can sand the flat of the blade with 600 grit sandpaper, then finer grits, or buff, to remove the scratches periodically.
Bill DeShivs
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx alot Bill. Does any pressure outward need to be exerted when putting the knife in the oven or will the heat cause bowing outward on it's own. This is testament to how much stock I put in your advice...I'm about to bake my campolin! :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

mr_edge wrote:Thanx alot Bill. Does any pressure outward need to be exerted when putting the knife in the oven or will the heat cause bowing outward on it's own. This is testament to how much stock I put in your advice...I'm about to bake my campolin! :wink:
I would advise getting an oven thermometer and checking to be sure the setting on the dial is accurate! Some ovens may go over the set point and then "settle down" so a pre-heat doesn't hurt [toaster ovens are VERY prone to doing this, I've seen them go 100 degrees over the set point before they returned to it a ran fine after that].
[I just wanted to add my "two cents" on ovens. Bill knows far more then I ever will about knives, and repairig them and I wouldn't even attempt advice on that].
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Vagrant is right about the overheating. Be very careful.
You might stuff something into the blade well to slightly force the liners open. Remember-this might not work! All it will do is make the horn elastic while it is hot, so the metal can try to pull it into alignment. Stilettos are notorious for all kinds of alignment problems, and moving something one way can certainly cause other problems in the knife.
Bill