Doing scales on my own

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
RobbP

Doing scales on my own

Post by RobbP »

Covid Christmas so I decided to spend some time on new scales for the Mexican switchblade.

Old scales were held together with some type of epoxy that was all over the knife bolsters. The old scales were damaged and disintegrating.

Using buffalo horn, got them scaled down, drilled for pins and button, hollowed out the top scale for the rocker.

Now, to find the right size pinstock!!! a little more fit/finish/polish on the scales before final assembly.

BTW this is my first rescale on any knife! Thanks for having me I am learning a lot here!
Attachments
IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg (137.71 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg (142.59 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1625.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
john

Re: Doing scales on my own

Post by john »

Try Amazon, EBay or Jantz for the pin stock. The pin stock is easy to find you can google it too.
Looking good!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can turn common nails down by chucking them in a drill and filing them to size.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I don't know, seems like you could have saved that front scale.

As for the pins, wire hangers are another great source for steel pins. When you need brass ones, 1.5mm and 2mm are pretty easy to find but if you can get the 1.8mm ones they are the perfect size for most production stiletto scales. It's easy enough to sand the 2mm ones but having the right size ones ready is even easier.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Wire coat hangers are getting scarce!
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
RobbP

Post by RobbP »

The pins that came out of the knife were steel, to I would like to put steel back in. I ll try Bill's advice of filing some down in the drill.
I did find an aray of some small bar stock on amazon, steel/alum/brass for $13. Prolly order that up!!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

For future reference, McMaster-carr.com sells rod stock, in a variety of materials, and in increments of thousandths of an inch (.000). To find it click on "Raw Materials" in the left hand menu, then "Metals" under categories, then "Rod and Disc" (left hand menu). Then you can continue to use the left hand menu to choose material and diameter.

They also sell other things that can be used for pin stock, like a wide assortment of nails, in various diameters and materials.

Two things I value very highly when building or re-building switchblades are, a drill and rod gauge (for precisely measuring the diameter of anything rod-shaped), and the seemingly infinite assortment of tools and materials available at McMaster-Carr.

Based on the age and condition of that knife, I'm amazed the spring is still intact. The knife looks like it's been through hell, but I'm guessing either the previous owner or owners didn't sit around repetitively firing the knife, or it's a really well-made spring.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

RobbP wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:39 am I did find an aray of some small bar stock on amazon, steel/alum/brass for $13. Prolly order that up!!
Those multipacks are usually not a good deal. You probably only be able to use a few of the brass & steel ones and none of the aluminum ones.

The brass ones are the only pins you usually need to order online. There is a huge price variety in brass rods so it is worth it to look around.

For example, here is about 10 inches (total) for $16
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133971319817?h ... Swb6lglqSO

And here is 20 feet for $21.63
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154508249277?h ... Swlddg17g5

As for the steel ones, you probably have some nails that will work. If not buy a box of nails for a few bucks.
RobbP

Post by RobbP »

Thanks for the info, when I catch a break I ll check out the nail situation in my wood shop, I have --a--lot--- of nails! I should have something that I can make work. Great comparison on the Ebay links too! I haven't ordered anything yet but will be looking at that 20' of brass 2mm stuff!!
Thanks again!!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I meant to ask: where did you get your horn? I have been having trouble finding black horn lately.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Horn is all over Ebay, and Walt has the pretty stuff.
RobbP

Post by RobbP »

Bill's right, I got two pieces about 1.5" by 5" on Ebay from a seller named muchofinoviolin price seemed fair ($17.00) and they shipped quick.

Bill, who is/where is Walt that has the pretty horn? in case I decide to do this again or screw this one up!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Latama.net
RobbP

Post by RobbP »

Copy, thank you!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I can find the stuff that is as expensive as the Brazilian horn. But I used to get (very recently) sets of black horn (totally b;ack) that were 4"x1.5"x.25" for $5. Several of the knives sites and a bunch of Ebay sellers had them. Now I can't find anything but the 5" stuff that is between $17 and $25 a set.