Hair Trigger

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

Hair Trigger

Post by Billyfish »

I have an AIK customized fishtail with no safety. Aside from needing a popsicle stick to release the picklock because the tab is so small; the damned thing has a hair trigger; if you so much as look at it it fires.
Any relief to be had for this problem?
sammy the blade

Re: Hair Trigger

Post by sammy the blade »

You might look at the hole in the blade where the pin sits, may have a bunch of gunk in it not letting the pin go in very far. Sometimes the get stuff in the hole from polishing. Cheap fix if that's what it is, good luck with it!
2024 candidate for president
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

No gunk in the hole. I cleaned it with a dental pick, still hair trigger. I'm thinking of trying to drill the hole a bit deeper; on closer examination I see that the end of the pin is cut at an angle. Is this normal?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Drilling the hole deeper won't help.
You have a sear or possibly a button issue. The knife will have to be disassembled.
Is the blade very loose side to side?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Hi Bill,
Blade is not side to side loose. Being an AIK customized knife it looks like tiny hex screws holding the scales on.
This is the knife in question.
https://www.adamsknifeworks.com/store/p ... ts_id=1871
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Take the handle off and see what (if anything) is impeding the button.
I would send the knife back and have it repaired.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I think sending the knife back to AIK is the way to go for me.
Thanks.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I contacted AIK about the fishtail linked above. Waiting for their response.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

The reason the sear is at angle is so the blade can close easier.
Stagnut
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Can you post two pics looking straight at the handle, one with the blade open and one with it closed (leave safety down the whole time)?
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thanks Stagnut I'm still learning autoknife nomenclature.

Jim, the knife is currently in AIK's hands so I can't offer any pictures unfortunately. Also, when Adams re-scales these fishtails they quite often remove the safety for a 'clean look'. I was assured by them that they would fix the problem so I'll have to see when it gets back into my hands; when I examined the sear it seemed to be pretty stubby.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm always amused by customizer's claims that safeties were removed for a "clean look."
They either can't replace the safeties or they are too lazy to. Either way, it's pretty much the mark of an amateur.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have two old Merlin's and they don't have safety's, I wouldn't call him an amateur.
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Merlin was a very close friend of mine. I actually taught him much of his knifemaking.
My statement stands.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm I'm always amused by customizer's claims that safeties were removed for a "clean look."
They either can't replace the safeties or they are too lazy to. Either way, it's pretty much the mark of an amateur.
I totally agree, and also suspect the use of "24K Gold Plated Screws" to replace the traditional brass scale pins falls into the same category.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)