Preserving Gutta Percha

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jackalope

Preserving Gutta Percha

Post by Jackalope »

I have an old Iver Johnson revolver from the 1870's. The gutta percha grips are in excellent condition. The just look dingy /dull. Is there something safe to use to bring back their luster?

I was thinking to use a little bit of dish soap in water and with a soft sponge gently wash them and dry. I have some Glycerin and was wondering if that would help or hurt them?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Preserving Gutta Percha

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Washing them will remove dirt, but the surface needs to be polished. If the surface is not too bad, you can use a small amount of Simichrome (rubbed into a soft cloth) to vigorously polish the surfaces. I wouldn't try to polish checkering. Afterwards, a good coat of paste wax and buffing.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

They have an eagle clutching arrows and some other details. The condition is very good. I have Simichrome but I know it will be a lot to clean it out of all the details. Do you think mineral oil will break down the rubber?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know about mineral oil.
Use a toothbrush to remove the Simichrome, and a shoe brush to buff the wax.
You can also just wash the Simichrome off before you wax.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Well the Simichrome turned the first handle almost totally white. It took the color out of the handle. I tried using the shoe brush but that didn't help. I ended up trying to wash the Simichrome off with a mild soap and water. That didn't make a difference. I went ahead and used some Johnsons paste wax. Still no better. I ended up taking it to my buffer with white rouge. That helped to get the flat areas back to where they should be. It was very tough to get in to the crevices. I carefully wiped it off with mineral spirits then I had a touch up bottle of dark brown paint. I used it like stain by brushing it on, letting it sit for a few minutes and wiping off the excess. I may try that again tomorrow. The second grip I decided to try the mineral oil. That seemed to work like I wanted it. I may give that one a second coat tomorrow also.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well shit, Jeff!
You have my apologies!
I have never had Simichrome harm anything I have used it on. I try to be more reliable than that, so again-I apologize for my totally incorrect answer.
Had I known you had a buffer, I would have suggested using it instead of Simichrome.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

No worries Bill. I don't blame you. This gutta percha is some weird stuff.

I took some of the pistol apart yesterday and ran them through my ultrasonic cleaner. I dried the parts off and blew everything out with my air compressor. Then I sprayed everything down with Balistol. They are still soaking. I plan on wiping them down and blowing the excess oil out before I take a copper scrubbie to anything left. It is nickel plated.

I'll get some photos of the complete gun after I am finished. Then I will search for some black powder 32 cal. ammo.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

If you don't mind me asking, why do you to shine up such an old and rare piece? If I recall correctly, when I was just getting started it was you (Jeff not Bill) who advised me against doing that type of stuff with really old knives.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

JimBrown257 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:41 am If you don't mind me asking, why do you to shine up such an old and rare piece? If I recall correctly, when I was just getting started it was you (Jeff not Bill) who advised me against doing that type of stuff with really old knives.
Yes, you are correct. In this case I have an old revolver pistol that I want to use.
This gun uses 32 caliber black powder ammunition.
Even though it is old, It is a fairly common gun without much monetary value.
Gutta Percha is known to crack and chip easily. By preserving the handles, it may get a longer life.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Is it rimfire or center? Just wondering because I have an old 32 rimfire with about a half box of ammo. Never shot it because the shells are obsolete.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

An Iver .32 is on my list of guns to collect.
Interesting that both R. Kennedy and Wm McKinley were both assassinated with Iver Johnson pistols.
They also make repro grips for these guns.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Correct-
Replacement grips are available on Ebay.
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Mine is an American Bulldog made by Iver Johnson 32 cal. Circa 1880.
Here is the before photo.
DSCN4964.jpg
DSCN4964.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Jackalope wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 am . Then I will search for some black powder 32 cal. ammo.
This company will most likely have the proper .32 for your pistol.
He makes the obsolete ammo for my 1873 MAS 11mm Revolver.
He does good work and is easy to talk to.
http://coloradocustomcartridges.com/calibers/
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Billyfish wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:40 am
Jackalope wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 am . Then I will search for some black powder 32 cal. ammo.
This company will most likely have the proper .32 for your pistol.
He makes the obsolete ammo for my 1873 MAS 11mm Revolver.
He does good work and is easy to talk to.
http://coloradocustomcartridges.com/calibers/
Thank you Billy! That place has everything.