Re-Scale ?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re-Scale ?

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Bill. I acquired this vintage Latama without seeing it first (the price was worth the chance). I'm not disappointed with it's overall condition, but as we all can see, it has an add-on that doesn't belong. Realizing I haven't found the only vintage Latama with a red dot safety ( :lol: ), my question now is: Can you tell by these pics if the scales are original and the red dot added later, or is it a complete re-scale? I thought possibly you could tell by the pins (or something?). Either way, the darn red dot just doesn't belong (I know). Here's more pics than you probably need...Thanks in advance!

...sorry the pics are so large. Not sure why.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Re: Re-Scale ?

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

Chris that is one sweet Latama,is the dot real?,not sure,I would keep it as you got it,but that's just me.
john

Post by john »

I’m No expert, but it looks really odd to me. Possibly added by someone who did not realize/know the history of Latama?
Nevertheless, it’s an awesome knife. It’s a keeper as is. I don’t know if repairing it will make it any more valuable, but if it bothers you I’d repair it. It is your knife.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Absolutely original scales and red dot. This is one of the Coricama-supplied Latamas.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
thom

Post by thom »

Wow, that's certainly good news.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Chris- Where was the original discussion about this knife? Talkblade or SD? Or did I dream it up. I just can't seem to find the thread.

I just remember seeing it and thinking it was original, but others with what I think more knowledge saying it wasn't.

Glad I never got into collecting vintage Italian knives. I learned very early that there were more opinions than actual provable facts...lol
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm Absolutely original scales and red dot. This is one of the Coricama-supplied Latamas.
Wow Bill, I can't express how thrilled I am to hear/read you say that! Thrilled and rather shocked! Like I mentioned, I just bought this sight unseen because the price was more than reasonable and I was afforded the option of returning it for refund, so not much to lose. As I was unwrapping it, I noted the incredibly great condition right up until I saw it! I thought "Why did somebody have to go and add that red dot on an old Latama!?" Then, I opened SOI and "verified" they didn't have them. Laid the knife down, took these pics, and posted my question to you. Thank you so much for your incredibly good news!

Eric, thanks so much! It really is in great shape and we both just learned about the red dot at basically the same time!

Thom...Incredible news to be sure!

John, thanks a million! I agree the dot looks odd. Not the dot itself, but the fact that it's on an old Latama certainly is!

Terry, thanks so much! I just got this knife last night, so I'll be searching the forums for more info.. I'm sure there must be plenty more out there in our community. One thing you mentioned that I MORE than totally agree with, is that nobody (or certainly not the masses) will ever agree that this red dot belongs on this knife! I can hear the disbelief and arguments in advance! :lol: People may even say the red dot ruined the knife. Who knows? It will be tough to convince.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The dot is flush with the scales, isn't it?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:02 am The dot is flush with the scales, isn't it?
Trying to run my fingernail across it, I don't think I can detect an indent or "lip" to the dot...

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I must be thinking of another knife that had a questionable red dot. Or more likely losing my mind...lol

Edit to add- the knife I was thinking about wasn't vintage- the more I think about it.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 am I must be thinking of another knife that had a questionable red dot. Or more likely losing my mind...lol

Edit to add- the knife I was thinking about wasn't vintage- the more I think about it.
...I think it was portandmike's AGA Flatguard... (possibly?) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28964

whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JulesVane wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:01 am
whippersnapper wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:51 am I must be thinking of another knife that had a questionable red dot. Or more likely losing my mind...lol

...I think it was portandmike's AGA Flatguard... (possibly?) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28964
Yep, sorry for the confusion. :oops:
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

The subject of the red dot Latama has come up years ago. There are quite a few examples if you do some deep dive searches between TB & SD.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Jackalope wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:36 pm The subject of the red dot Latama has come up years ago. There are quite a few examples if you do some deep dive searches between TB & SD.
Thanks Jeff! Searching “Latama”, “Red Dot”, “Red Dot Safety” are pretty tough searches, but “Safety” came up with 289 pages on SD. I made it to page 85 last night before my eyes gave up on me! 😂

john

Post by john »

Hi Chris,
When you look down into the safety slot does the red continue down into the horn or is it simply on the surface (painted)? Or does it extend deep into the horn? If it does, the horn was drilled, the red dot plugged hole and then the slot was cut for the safety. The craftsman miss calculated where the red dot should land that’s why it’s in the middle of the safety slot. To state the obvious, when the safety is engaged the red that should be completely covered.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed