Re-Scale ?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re: Re-Scale ?

Post by JulesVane »

john wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 pm Hi Chris,
When you look down into the safety slot does the red continue down into the horn or is it simply on the surface (painted)? Or does it extend deep into the horn? If it does, the horn was drilled, the red dot plugged hole and then the slot was cut for the safety. The craftsman miss calculated where the red dot should land that’s why it’s in the middle of the safety slot. To state the obvious, when the safety is engaged the red that should be completely covered.
Hi John! I got the flashlight involved and looked in the safety slot. I only see the red as deep as the "walls" of the slot. The red doesn't extend any deeper into the cavity of where the slot was cut, just the walls, which don't seem very thick. ...

This is the safety fully engaged. The cap completely covers the red dot...

...hope these helped (?)

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Hi Chris,
The red dot and the safety line up perfectly. I have a few red dots that don’t line up perfectly.
What made me think it could’ve been a plug was the fact that the red looks perfect. The red color is bright, the edges are very clean/smooth, there’s no chipping or flaking and the red looks like it was added a few days ago.
By the way the horn’s coloration is beautiful. The colors in the close up photos of the safety ate just amazing. You landed a very attractive knife for your collection. They don’t get much nicer!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It is a plug.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.