Autos that do not close all the time

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rnchesnut

Autos that do not close all the time

Post by rnchesnut »

I have a couple of vintage knives that have difficulties closing and locking up. They will either close and then spring open or just take 4-5 attempts to close. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it without dismantling the knife. I have tried a little Ballistol and push the blade firmly when closing. But it hasnt really helped. One of the knives is a small Cartillier du Luc. Shows obvious peeking. Please advise. Rob.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Autos that do not close all the time

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That is not usually a problem that can be user repaired.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Re: Autos that do not close all the time

Post by john »

It could be a number of issues: worn out sear pin, enlarged sear hole in the liner, loose rocker arm, bent liner or a combination of issues or something else. If you’re not comfortable taking the knife apart and repairing it yourself you should leave it to a pro.
Good luck, let us know what the problem was and how it was repaired.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed