screw on scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ateam940

screw on scales

Post by ateam940 »

Hello - I am going to put scales on a knife and want to try screwing them on, rather than use peined pins. I'm wondering what a good size screw would be. I want at least 3/8ths length. What size screw, what size tap and what diameter drill should I use? Confession, I'm putting the scales on one of Stu's Xing Wens. The liners are nearly 1/8th thick. I know you can't polish a turd, I just like the knife. 8-) Dave
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Dave
Sure you can polish a turd-you just still have a turd!
I can't help on the screw sizes. If Merlin sees this I'm sure he would know.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: screw on scales

Post by Vagrant »

ateam940 wrote:Hello - I am going to put scales on a knife and want to try screwing them on, rather than use peined pins. I'm wondering what a good size screw would be. I want at least 3/8ths length. What size screw, what size tap and what diameter drill should I use? Confession, I'm putting the scales on one of Stu's Xing Wens. The liners are nearly 1/8th thick. I know you can't polish a turd, I just like the knife. 8-) Dave
Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com has taps, dies, tap drills, and clearance drills down to as small as 00-90 and up to 8-32. They also have some brass screws as long as 1/2" in 00-90, 0-80, 1-72, and 2-56. [look under hand tools for taps].
Last edited by Vagrant on Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

http://www.smallparts.com has an amazing variety of screws, nuts, parts, and materials. Their web site is nothing special but register and hope they send you a catalog. They are not cheap but their items are top quality and frequently VERY hard to find elsewhere :!:
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Great links Mr. V Thank you.