Pivot Hole Lapping Necessity?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tedmen

Pivot Hole Lapping Necessity?

Post by tedmen »

Bill I read one of your posts on another forum where guys were recommending reaming and lapping pivot holes for slip joints to get perfect fit and you indicated that this was unneccesary for slip joint pivot holes and in fact the holes should be oversized [to some degree].
Does this just apply to slip joints? How applicable is it to Italian Stilettos? ie: reaming and lapping.
Trying to understand why this wouldn't be a good thing.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Pivot Hole Lapping Necessity?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The mechanics of stilettos, automatics and lock blades require the pivot to be an exact fit. Slip joints rely on backspring pressure only to keep them open/closed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
tedmen

Post by tedmen »

Thank you Bill. I was thinking it was probably due to the fact that most slip joints were peened in pivot pins and an exact fit would cause binding after peening in the pivot.

May I ask, is it better? easier? to cut out stiletto back springs without the leaf spring? and cut/make the spring separately or cut out the back spring with the leaf spring as one piece? Any preference?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm not a knifemaker but if it was me I would go with the two piece. I don't know what Bill does but most of the custom knives I have seen are done that way.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I prefer two piece springs
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.