bone scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Just dig up a fresh grave.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

Pushbutton wrote:Missaman which glowing eyes? I don't think I have an avatar with glowing eyes. Maybe I should get one.
PB
Mr PB zone alarm kills most avatars I can't see them unless I turn it off.
Awhile back you had what looked like shawn penn with green glowing eyes
Or then again it could have been the meds :roll:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I don't have any movie star avatars to crass. I did have an old pic of a strange looking guy with green eyes like this one?
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

Yup, he's the one :lol:
Missaman
redbear

bone scales

Post by redbear »

Thanks to Mr. DeShivs and Claudster for their advice on polishing up bone scales. Unfortunately I'm gonna put this project on hold until I can find out how to deal with the excessive up and down blade play on the Mikov. I have it pinned up ready for peening but have at least 1/4" up and down movement. Somewhere I saw postings on how to deal with the problem but can't seem to locate them. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hey Redbear!
When you are testing the Mikov for up and down blade play...is the spring installed?.......Nemo
redbear

bone scales

Post by redbear »

Hi Nemo: Good to hear from you.
Yep, the blade play occurs with spring installed. I've tried 3 different springs from assembled knives, all with the same result - at least 1/4" play. I haven't done the final peening so will try to replace the blade when I get new kits in. i'm hoping blade replacement will work as I don't want to remove the pins for fear of cracking the bone. The pins are very tight, and that is my last resort. I have several other Mikovs and this is the worst of all of them. Can anything be done with the blade to lessen the play?
As usual...thanks tons for your good advice.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

There are legal ramifications to using human bones on native handicraft projects. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're only allowed to use your own bones, in most juristictions.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Human bones may be easy to work with, but where do you purchase human bones to make handles with??
This is just the sort of stuff we have the PM system in place for.

SD