Problem with new Kershaw blackout

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JAGMAN

Problem with new Kershaw blackout

Post by JAGMAN »

Hi Guys, I bought my new son in law a kershaw blackout at Christmas, now it has developed a problem.the linerlock has dropped down and is sitting low in the handle making it hard to get a nail on it to close the knife, also the blade has a lot of up and down movement and does not lock up solid. I have doused with WD and oiled the knife to no avail.
All the screws are in and tight, I dont want to tear it apart as it is brand new practially.
I went to the local gunstore where I bought it, they would not exchange it and told me to send it back to the Kershaw works.
I e-mailed Kershaws from the leaflet I got with the knife and they say they need the bill of sale - wtf -it was a gift and I've binned it.
any suggestions O wise ones.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Too many companies are really hung up on a bill of sale. I save mine BUT they're all over the place in no order or any logic. The chances I could find one specific one are about one in a thousand. If the item isn't serial numbered, you can buy another, wait a few weeks and send them the broken one with the new bill of sale. If they question you on it, tell them you have bought several and probably got them mixed up, but if they are going to give you a hard time you won't be buying any more. This does give me incentive to organize better in the future.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Thats the only knife Ive ever bought from the store!!
everything else has been on the net or "good guys" only got the one reciept and it is gonzo.
I have a few kershaws coming from Scooter , maybe I'll ask him for a reciept :lol:
Jagman
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Did ya get it sorted JAGMAN ?
Mine is still going strong and getting a lot of use as an EDC.
I havn't taken it apart to see how it works yet but ..................
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

I called Kershaw and explained it was a gift for my new son in law who happens to be called Evan Kershaw :lol:
I told them that he is shipping out to Germany soon (US army) and it would be nice if he had his new knife to take with. They told me to send it in with a note and they would take care of it. Got it back this past thursday - it is a brand new Blackout that is as fast as any switch, great knife and good service after all,
ps Got Evan hooked now too - he is a regular on bladeauction with a passion for Kershaws and fantasy knives :lol: :lol:
my type of son-in-law although the Daughter is not too happy.
Jagman
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jagman
Glad things turned out good. I had always heard Kershaw had good customer service then when I read your first post I said WTF? What diff does it make regarding the bill of sale its still a Kershaw and its still in need of repair. Alls well that ends well now if you can just steer your son-in-law away from the United Cutlery fantasy pieces...............
PB
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

I hear you PB but he is gung ho and ready to go, he has'nt realized about the quality of a piece yet, he see's something that would scare Conan the barbarian and gets it for $20.00 and he is happy. He's collecting all the gadgets too, pen-knife, switch lighter,ect. I have plenty of clones I keep giving him to keep him clicking, but the Kershaws are his favorite right now - I had a 12 unit knife case lying around and he has it almost full with blackouts,chives and scallions.
I told him when he gets to Germany to start sending me back some iron, and if they get a weekend off go down to Italy for the real Mc.Coy.
Jagman
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Since he has the Chive, Blackout, etc... Time to start the larger Kershaws like the Blur, Boa, and leek. :lol:

Never ends does it.

SD
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Kershaw sent a catalog back with the knife, I like the look of the Boa too,
may just have to get one of those.
Jagman
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Glad to hear it worked out JAGMAN.
I will definitely be adding a few more Kershaw's to my own collection.