shop safety

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i've been at my job 17 years - started sweeping the floor and drilling holes....learned fast that safety glasses are very important - but now 17 years later - and i'm running the show in the shop - i've seen some pretty bizzare and nasty accidents - all of which could have been avoided with our best tool - "common sense"...i actually saw a guy run his fingertips down a solid carbide jointer blade to test it for sharpness :shock:
faster than he could say ouch - they cut to the bone...what the hell was he thinking - these are like giant razor blades!!

worst i've done (knock wood) is stick both my pointer fingers into the table saw blade on seperate occasions...just a quick "tinnngggg" ...or two :oops:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Common sense is not really common. I sharpened an axe for a guy at work. When I gave it to him I said it would shave!! As soon as I left he turned to the guy standing next him and said "I wonder if it's really sharp?" Then he ran his fingers down the blade :shock: :!: The other guy told me there was blood everywhere and they needed a mop to clean it up :!:
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

geez, Im pretty bad about using the thumb to "feel" for sharpness :oops:
as I look at my thumb, I have 8 different incisions (none bled)