at wits end

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
daddyloko

at wits end

Post by daddyloko »

Bill, seems like I'm forever polishing the backsprings on my knives. Some of the backsprings have small amounts of carbon spotting that I just can't remove. I followed suggestions of using Flitz, rubbing with "00" steel wool and it's to no avail :evil: . I've tried using a dremel and things just get shinier, not removed.
Have you any other suggestions? I'm sure that once I eliminate the spotting, I can keep it under control.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Abe
You will have to remove metal by sanding, then repolish the spring. Lots of work! Or, you could oil them and live with it. Some people have highly acidic skin oil. Try thoroughly washing and drying your hands before clicking, and keep the springs oiled.
Bill
Plastered Bastard

Post by Plastered Bastard »

If the knives are old, yeah...polish'um, oil'um and live with it.

If the knives are cheapies or new ones, yeah...sand those suckers down and tell us how it goes.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces ~ American Proverb

Plastered B.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Abe,
You have already got good advise on cleaning your stain/rust problem. I would like to suggest that you try RIG products, which is rust inhibitive grease. Rub some in a rag or chamois, keep it next to your collection, wipe the metal areas of the knife with this after you handle them. They won't rust with that care, unless your skins exudes about 50% Hydrochloric, which I doubt. I use Solvol Autosol to polish and RIG to protect. Have been using it since 1972, it's about the best for rust protection. Only seen one chap that could rust carbon steel coated with Rig in all those years.
Good luck,
Sam
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Sam, where can I find the RIG? I did a search on the web and only brings up big ass rigs!
I keep my customs and better knives in seperate cases. I'm constantly having to check them. For what ever reason(s) the climate here in my place is just tough on them. Always after cleaning them, I use a clean cloth in handling them as not to leave any thing on them.
Sam Hotton

Post by Sam Hotton »

Good morning Abe,
RIG Universal Grease can be ordered from:
Shotgun Sports
Toll free# 1-800-676-8920 in the U.S.
Outside the U.S. (530) 889-2220
They accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover cards

The address:
Silencio
56 Coney Island Drive
Sparks Nevada 89431

Telephone# (800) 648-1812
FAX# (800) 257-5160
E-mail: info@silencio.com

Abe, RIG comes in 1 ounce jars, 1 ounce tubes, and 3.75 ounce jars. A little goes a long ways, 1 ounce will last a long time. But saying that, I would either buy the 3.75 ounce jar or at least two of the ounce jars, this way you won't have to buy it again for a very long time. If and when you get this product, contact me and I will describe the best methods of application I've learned.

Regards,
Sam