Stainless steel

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Doc Rocket

Stainless steel

Post by Doc Rocket »

Hay Bill Will Stainless steel solder to nickel silver or brass or it too hard?
I love my country...
It's the #*# goverment...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes, it will solder if you use a solder with silver content, a good flux, and you clean both pieces bright before soldering.
Bill
Doc Rocket

Post by Doc Rocket »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Yes, it will solder if you use a solder with silver content, a good flux, and you clean both pieces bright before soldering.
Bill

i've heard you speak of solder with silver content before. Where is this usually available? At jewlery suppliers?
I love my country...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Silver-bearing solder can be bought at any large hardware store. You need at least 4% silver content.
Real silver solder has much more silver and is technically a brazing metal, requiring much higher heat.
Bill
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Hey Doc...you may have a bugger of a time finding it in Canada at the hardware stores. I bought Stay Clean as per Bill's advice, but had to get it off a hobby store online from the US...was only around $6. I actually saw some being auctioned on ebay a few weeks back!
Doc Rocket

Post by Doc Rocket »

mr_edge wrote:Hey Doc...you may have a bugger of a time finding it in Canada at the hardware stores. I bought Stay Clean as per Bill's advice, but had to get it off a hobby store online from the US...was only around $6. I actually saw some being auctioned on ebay a few weeks back!
Just phoned House of Tools and they have it for $11.00 a roll. I'll grab some tomorrow. I can get it at jewellery supply but it's 60% at $.55 a ft.
I love my country...