Help Manglers!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Help Manglers!

Post by omega »

This is my first visit to the mods section. I looked thru several pages of old posts but didn't see my answer.

I received 2 knives in need of "correction." The first is a 33cm dark buffalo with excessive liner gap near the swivel bolter.

The 2nd is a 28cm swing. The button is almost frozen until slight inward pressure is applied to the blade, then it fires perfectly. The same knife suffers from proud blade.

Suggestions for easy obvious fixes? Dump them "as is?" Send them out to a pro?

Thanks for any suggestions! :lol:
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

pm me for my address - they are write-offs - send em to me :lol: :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Omega
You can try peening the backspring pin and blade pin on the 33.
Try cleaning the locking hole on the swing with a toothpick. Then apply a dab of grease in the hole. If it doesn't loosen up, let me know on this forum.
Bill Deshivs
omega

Post by omega »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Omega
You can try peening the backspring pin and blade pin on the 33.
Try cleaning the locking hole on the swing with a toothpick. Then apply a dab of grease in the hole. If it doesn't loosen up, let me know on this forum.
Bill Deshivs
Thans Bill!

I will give it a try,

.....but everytime I get out my peener, some woman screams and the next thing I know, I'm calling the bailbondsman.

Seriously, thank you for the suggestions. I SHALL try them and let you know the result.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Omega, have you considered it's the method of how you're releasing your peener? Finesse,finesse!!
omega

Post by omega »

abe suarez wrote:Omega, have you considered it's the method of how you're releasing your peener? Finesse,finesse!!
Abe: Do you really think its my approach to peening that is causing me all this trouble? Here's my method:

I slowly approch the Peen-ee and make the internationally recognized gesture known to identify me as a suave, sophisticated gentleman, namely:

Inserting my right index finger through the opening between my encircled left index finger and thumb and moving my right index finger rapidly in and out.

After making my intentions known thusly, I take out my peener. That's when all hell breaks loose.

Seriously, I did attempt the correction bill mentioned, but only managed to make matters worse on the liner-gapped 33cm. Shame too, as it has some fairly pretty dark horn. I will either garage sale that one, or send it off to a certain indian fellow in Michigan, providing he can take time away from his job standing outside of the tobacco shop, selling cigars. That piece is so badly gapped that I may be best to garage sale it. I suspect straightening those liners may require scale removal the gaps are so bad.

I shall attempt surgery on the 28cm swing tomorrow. If that one goes similarly, I shall send it on to Michigan too, but then that is a different sort of problem. He did a wonderful restoration of an almost identical poece for me some months back, and it arrived looking as we all WISH stuff would looks like straight from Maniago.

Either way, it's no big loss. Both pieces were from a larger lot of 12 varying pieces bought from a local collector who was liquidating out of financial necessity. The balance of the lot was more or less perfect. I could sell 4, make back all my cash, junk the above two and still have 6 great additions to my collection.

Even better, I may include photos of the above two on the site as examples of common factory defects.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Omega, :lol: :lol: :lol Now I'm thinking... :? Could it be the size of the gesture that's creating the havoc? :shock:

I know how you feel trying to salvage a knife witth great looking scales above all. I have several that I'm quite fond of that would take on a whole new appearence if I could get a mangler to change some issues on them.... :cry:
omega

Post by omega »

POST-OP REPORT 28CM SWING:

Tried the recommended toothpick clean out, or in this case a dental tool.

Also tried douching the button hole with copious amounds of Militec-1.

No go!

Since the blade sits a bit proud and the problem vanishes with slight inward pressure on the closed blade before firing, I wonder if trying to trim a hair off of the edge of the leaf spring might help.

It seems reasonable that it might cure the proud blade issue and in the process restore normal firing.

Thoughts experts?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Make sure the backspring and blade pins are tight.
Trimming the spring will have no effect.
Sounds like the rocker pin is worn out.
Bill
omega

Post by omega »

Thanks again Bill!

Having access to your considerable knowledge is a true blessing to this forum!

I will give this swing one more go and then see if a certain mangler wants to look it over. He was able to fix and identical problem in almost an identical knife some months back. Something in me just hates the thought of an otherwise great knife going to the boneyard for something that can be fixed in the right hands.

BTW, a certain wholesaler in TX known for their vast selection of asian goods recently mentioned to me their aquisition of a small number of Leverlettos. There where less than 10 left at that point. I did not partake. But I did think you might be interested in knowing where your pieces have ended up. Email me if more info is desired.

Thanks again for the help on the swing.

Chris
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I think I know who it is, but thanks!
Bill