Who's JDL ?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bob Rebbec

Who's JDL ?

Post by Bob Rebbec »

I know I asked YEARS ago on a different venue, I think it was Mr. DeShivs that answered. I forgot. Who's JDL. I've two well made Ka-Bar Grizzly style switchblades I bought at the big Chicago show, I think in the early '90s. They are stamped on the blade tang JDL. what can anyone tell me about him?
I was at the Gator Show last weekend. No one I asked there knew.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Who's JDL ?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

JD Lippencott, I believe.
Don't know anything about him. Sorry.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bob Rebbec

Post by Bob Rebbec »

I asked who JDL is a while ago. Bill DeShivs was helpful but what happened next is pretty nice. When I was set up at the Gator Show in Lakeland Fla Le Roi Price did a video of me talking about the Grizzlys I was making and selling at that time. A collector in California that knows James Dearborn LIppencott of Wichita Ks and called him because in that video I asked about a maker named JDL. He texted me a simple note, call me, JDL. I did of course and we have become knife friends thanks to Le Roi's video. James is a great guy. My age...in his 70's and makes very few knives anymore. He never was prolific or full time, more a hobby maker like I am. Most of his contacts went to the west coast. I feel fortunate to have two of his fine knives, they aren't dressed up with file work or engraving but the workmanship is excellent.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Post some pics if you can, we sure would like a look at them.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Love to see some of your work!
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

That man made some of the nicest looking reproduction/custom knives I've seen, top notch ! Got any pics to share ?
john

Post by john »

Photos please. If you need help posting photos let us know.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed