Thicker liner question

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JAGMAN

Thicker liner question

Post by JAGMAN »

I have stripped my first stiletto and have a question about thicker liners, What is the best way to extend the blade locking pin to allow for the thicker liners, I have searched Knife 101 with out any luck, hopefully one of you guys will be able to give me the lowdown.
thanks, Jagman.
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Jagman,

There's a topic called Stiletto Project by Nemo on that site. Did you see it? I'm pretty sure he went for thicker liners in revamping a stiletto. I believe a new pin would be required if you use the old bolsters.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most of the pins are sufficiently long enough to use with thicker liners. You can help a little by grinding a thinner spot where the pin goes through the liners.
Bill
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

TR, I was all over the switblade 101 3 part series, Nemo mentioned he was going to do a sidebar for the thicker liners - how to compensate - but I dont think it materialized, Once again though Mr. Bill has the solution, ingeniously simple and just what I needed to know.
Jagman
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr jagman - i did a picklock with nemo's stiletto project on knife101
and i used 1/16" liners and a standard button mechanism without any problems or adjustments, maybe i got lucky!
i got lots of help and good advice from both nemo and mr deshivs. 8)
Merlin

extending blade pin

Post by Merlin »

lay the point of the pin on the edge of your vice and give it a couple of good whacks with the ball peen and then re-shape the pointy end and it will be perfect.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Good tip there Merlin, thanks. I will do that as the tip is messed a little anyway.
Jagman