making an otf knife

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
chiliman777

making an otf knife

Post by chiliman777 »

Hey does anyone have drawings of how to build an out the front knife... i was thinking of making an original design but need to know how the interior works with the knife spring and push buttons etc. anything will be helpful, either info or pics or web links. thanks
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Re: making an otf knife

Post by Teddy »

chiliman777 wrote:Hey does anyone have drawings of how to build an out the front knife... i was thinking of making an original design but need to know how the interior works with the knife spring and push buttons etc. anything will be helpful, either info or pics or web links. thanks
Your best bet would probably be to buy one yourself and take it to bits...

They aren't very expensive... not the Italian ones anyway..

Best wishes
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

I agree buy some cheap clones and take them apart to see how they work
Missaman
chiliman777

making an otf

Post by chiliman777 »

Does anyone have any broken down otf knives that they could take pics of and post for me? Im not sure i would be able to buy one.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Here's a CFO II I'm working on. More pics to follow...

Note: the mainspring is mounted on a wooden dowel so I won't loose it or bend it up accidentally. =)
chiliman777

otf

Post by chiliman777 »

Hey thats a big help thanks. Any other pics you get would be a big help as well. If its possible could you just take a quick shot of where all the pieces go? im still not sure on a few of them. Also, does this blade retract automatically? how? thanks
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

The piece pictured at the very top is the retractor handle. It rides in a track inside the frame just below it. It does not retract automatically. The Microtech Ultratech or Scarabs do, in a way, but that is accomplished with opposing springs and a tension clutch. Start here with a single-action and work your way up to a D/A OTF.

I'll try to take/post some more this morning when I get home...
BTW you can obtain a HALO clone for about $14, for example here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=43335
It would be a good reference piece for you or anyone wanting to see how these are done...
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

OK I had to make them big to show the details, this is scaled for 1280 x 1024 resolution.

The only things different in these pictures than what it'd be like assembled is the mainspring is not loaded, and the plunge-lock does not have its' little return spring in the hole:

Hope this is useful.
chiliman777

otf

Post by chiliman777 »

Hey thanks alot. I know this may be annoying but i really appreciate it ...i dont know all that much. To retract the blade basically all that you do is push down on the metal piece opposite the puch button? what makes this spring up to lock it after the knife is pushed? Also, is the retractor handle just held in by the friction by the little pin on that row of holes on the retractor handle? thank you very much.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

The metal piece on the frame behind the blade is a leaf lock. when it is moved aside, the blade is free to retract. There is a small spring under the leaf lock.
The retractor is held in the upper frame in tracks machined into the upper frame. The row of holes at the rear of the retractor has no mechanical function.
The retractor mates with the small pin in the lower left rear of the blade. directly opposite the retractor pin is an empty hole on the other blade 'leg'.
:)
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Awesome, educational pics SK-
thanks.
I havent had the guts to undo my STC. :oops:
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
tanto

Post by tanto »

Graet pictures!! Thank you.

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Stone Knife

STC

Post by Stone Knife »

Benny- I don't blame you on the STC- if it ain't broke... plus there's the legendary Dalton customer service which is pretty much lacking in MT anymore. :roll:

David- You are very welcome.

I am in the process of putting a HP on the blade and doing some interior tuning on this CFO-II here, is why it's open at all.
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Mr. "chiliman" hasn't posted at Talkblade since 2/16. I think this is a waste of time. 8)