polishing stainless steel

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

How does white rouge compare to the red? Is red more abrasive?

Thanks... :idea: :?:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Red is "softer" and used [mostly] on non-ferrous metal, [brass, gold, silver, nickle silver, etc. White is "harder" and designed for stainless steel, it also works great on carbon steel. [Black "emery" sp? [it's late] is a courser compound and used for rough polishing, especially on carbon steel. There is also a green rouge that seems [to me] to be very similar to white, but some people have strong preferences. And those who do, will no doubt post their favorite[s].
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Soooo. Red might be something to use on hard steels after you've gone as far as the white can take you?

I'm embarking on a HP project on a CFO-II which is S30V... any S30V goodies are very welcome.
Stone Knife

Found some!

Post by Stone Knife »

This looks like a nice resource for a variety of polishing compounds: http://www.fdjtool.com/store/showcat.asp?cat=1
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Vagrant wrote:A full size buffer/grinder is the most dangerous tool in any shop and will grab things and throw them cheerfully in your direction. This has KILLED people, and injured many more. A Dremel is less likely to kill you but it can hurt like hell if the buff gets caught on [and grabs] the knife. Hold the knife firmly and touch the buff lightly to it.
Mr. Vagrant,

Boy-O-boy are you right on that one. I once had a knife dissappear so fast out of my hand and bounce off the tank on my Harley before I even realized what happened. Even though I use safety glasses whenever I use power tools, it won't help if I have a blade stuck in my gut. Kinda the same concept of working on your engine while the fan belt is turning at 700 rpm's.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Stone Knife wrote:Soooo. Red might be something to use on hard steels after you've gone as far as the white can take you?

I'm embarking on a HP project on a CFO-II which is S30V... any S30V goodies are very welcome.
Red may not "cut" hard steel, red is made from iron oxide and meant for soft metals. It might "smooth out" very light scratches. I can't recall trying it on hard things since I always had white to use.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

I'm going to be doing a Mirror Polish on my CFO II blade, so am thinking about the final stages.
Looks like Green Compound, CrO2 (Chrome Oxide) is an essential for this too...