polishing stainless steel

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Straydog 5247

polishing stainless steel

Post by Straydog 5247 »

I've got some older knives that have been carried in pockets for years ! the stainless steel bolsters are scratched & dull ! I've tried various polishes , looks "cleaner" , but thats all ! I want a real shiney finish !(chrome-like) . how can I achieve that result ? ? :?
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. StrayDog,

I use 'Simichrome'. Patience is a virtue. Believe me.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Dremel, buffing wheel, white rouge, lot's of caution and patience. Try to hurry and you'll hurt the knife, yourself or both. Holding the buff in one place for more than a few seconds can produce lots of "ungood" heat. Check the knife frequently for heat and stop [and quench] anytime it's uncomfortably warm. If you don't have the patience to do this, use Bonzos method. A full size buffer/grinder is the most dangerous tool in any shop and will grab things and throw them cheerfully in your direction. This has KILLED people, and injured many more. A Dremel is less likely to kill you but it can hurt like hell if the buff gets caught on [and grabs] the knife. Hold the knife firmly and touch the buff lightly to it.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonzo and Vagrant,

You guys are damn good with advice. I read the question and knew who was on the forum so I decided to wait to respond. Your answers would have made mine an embarrassment. Well done...

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

:oops:
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Hey guys ! I've been using "Simichrome" for years on my motorsickles , only on aluminum tho..... didn't realize it would work on s. s. also :shock: And patience , is "my middle name" , no prob there ! Mr. Vagrant , I got a "complete" polishing set for my Dremel tool this christmas ! :D I forgot about it :oops: Now I can give it a try ! OH BOY ! Thanks again for the feedback , it helps get to thinkin' P.S. Jim d Don't be so hard on yourself ! you've helped me afew times before ! and I also thank you ! 8)
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

I would add to make sure you use a new polisher or one that is very clean and has only had white rouge on it.
I learned that one the hard way :roll:
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

If friction is a concern, you may use a damp washcloth on the opposing side to dissapate that heat when using your Dremel. :idea:

It's also a good technique to orient your work so the rotation of the buffer is in the same direction (like coming off a ski ramp) as any sharp edges, vs. into them.

If not working directly on the blade's edge, I use electrical tape to mask off the sharp edge and the point to avoid accidental handling cuts. It's sometimes too much to both watch the buffer and watch the 'cutter' :wink:
Stone Knife

I've been thinking about this and it could have been better-

Post by Stone Knife »

Let me try to clarify what I mean by this "direction of the buffer" thing... (why is this so hard to describe? :roll: ) IR an eeeediot! OK

....like if you're polishing a blade, the buffer-wheel shaft would be paralell to the edge and if you let it, the wheel would try to 'climb up' the blade grind instead of push the edge away... (this is why we invented pictures no doubt)

I'm sure you know what I mean anyway. This helps prevent the wheel's digging into the blade if it gets too close to the edge... Pics on request. OK, now- Pancakes for everybody....!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks for the tip stone! i was wondering how i was going to buff my ski's :lol:
Straydog 5247

thanks

Post by Straydog 5247 »

Hey guys !
I've tried all suggestions and the job came out "great" , I experimented on one of my "chinese stilettos" ! now IT looks better than my "high-dollar" Italian knives ! :shock: Thanx ![/u]
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

OOPS !
I forgot something . Do these buffing tips work on brass & nickel Too ???
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Straydog 5247 wrote:OOPS !
I forgot something . Do these buffing tips work on brass & nickel Too ???
Yup, use jewelers rouge on soft metals, and a different buff for each type of polish [or material to be polished].
mister re-man

Post by mister re-man »

Mr bonzo wrote
I use 'Simichrome'. Patience is a virtue. Believe me
and i agree the stuff is great for hand polishing.
believe it or not toothpaste also works well - but don't use too much pressure because it's highly abrasive.
Jay

Post by Jay »

mister re-man wrote:Mr bonzo wrote
I use 'Simichrome'. Patience is a virtue. Believe me
and i agree the stuff is great for hand polishing.
believe it or not toothpaste also works well - but don't use too much pressure because it's highly abrasive.
Toothpaste also works great for polishing the action on a revolver. Just remove the sideplate, wash out any oil, fill it with toothpaste, and replace the sideplate. Then proceed to dry fire it about 100 times. Then remove the sideplate, wash out the toothpaste, and apply some Break-Free or any other good lubricant.