Custom Carbon Fiber Scarab

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
cam

Custom Carbon Fiber Scarab

Post by cam »

I just ordered a sheet of carbon fiber and I'm planning on doing some insterts (for the Microtech Scarab and a Boker Top Lock), but I've never worked with CF before and any advice on cutting and sanding procedures would be appreciated (or any links to other threads that have discussed this topic). I'm planning on using a dremmel for the cutting, but am not sure which attachment would be best for this- any opinions? Based on the way my LCC Lightfoot looks I'd guess CF is pretty brittle... anway- any help would be great. Thanks,

-Cam
Last edited by cam on Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

I reshaped my bikes CF front fender with a die-grinder and a thin cut off wheel, it was thin material (less than 1/8 in (.125) and it was easy to cut.
I made a gentle curve so I cannot say this would be the best method if you plan on really going for some intricate curves.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Carbon fiber is not a material that is safely "played with." You should use a good quality respirator when working it.
Bill DeShivs
Last edited by Bill DeShivs on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cam

Post by cam »

Right you are! Wish you'd posted that message a bit earlier, Bill. I'm now an excellent candidate for lung cancer. I used a dust mask, but that turned out to be a joke. Also- when you use a Dremel it's a good idea to wear some heavy duty arm protection. The Dremel shoots out pieces of carbon fiber that will embed themselves in your arm (they go right through a sweatshirt) if you're not careful.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun- when I finish up my project I'll post some pictures.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Allen Elishewitz in his excellent knifemaking safety article advises:

"You also need a good respirator. This does not mean a cotton face mask, but a dual- or quad-filter charcoal respirator. Do not forget to put your respirator back in an air sealed bag after you are done: the respirator with the charcoal is constantly filtering air and you can prolong its life by placing it in the bag."

A lot of great knowledge can be gleaned here: http://www.knifeart.com/knifearticles.html?page=1
cam

Finally done

Post by cam »

Just thought I'd post the results of my efforts. I really love the way carbon fiber looks on knives, but it's a pain to work with (I used twill weave on the Scarab) . Just picked up a carbon fiber Ultratech too- beautiful!

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Very precise! Looks like a whole lot of work.
Bill
BurnKnives

Post by BurnKnives »

CB is one of the most messiest materials to work with. You'll have a fine layer of black dust everywhere after just a few minutes of grinding it. The carbon dust is not something you want to inhale at all, use a good respirator.

It cuts easily with a bandsaw and grinds easier then micarta as well. The more rounded you grind the scale the more needle holes it will show. After I get my scales shaped I rub super glue gell into the tops of the CB and then sand down immediately with 320 grit then up to 600. Fills in any/all surface imperfections. Of course you won't have to worry about any of this if your using 1/8" thick sheeting with plain weave. I use 3/16" 3k twill weave (fancier weave than the plain). Both weaves are extremely strong, not brittle by any means. Its a very light (lite?) material, very durable.
Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups.