leverletto, Bill?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ChadEntwistle

leverletto, Bill?

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Bill are you around?
I am putting together a leverletto and have a couple of questions.
My liner with the sear spring, is bent. I looks like it had become bent when the factory put the spring on, perhaps too much hammer?
Whats the best way to straighten that liner out?
My next question, the pin that goes through the back spring, i have studied many, many of your knives, and it appears that you sometimes pin all the way through the knife scales and all, others are only pinned through the liners?
I must assume that, if I cant get the liners "true" again, I will have to pin all the way through scales and all to, try, to pinch the liners to the back spring to take some of the bend out of the liner?

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions,
Chad Entwistle
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: leverletto, Bill?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Leave the liner alone. It's supposed to be that way. It should straighten out when you peen the backspring pin.
If the handle material is fairly tough, you can run the backspring pin through it and peen. If the scales are delicate, peen the pin through the liners.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Bill,
Ok Im using composite white pearl scales, I dont see quite how I would be able to peen the back spring pin through the liners only, how do I then get the scales on?
i know you have the trick! Thanks so much for your help. It is super neat to have someone like yourself giving advice to a novice.

Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Peen the pin, then pivot the liners around it to get to the other pins.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

WOW am I dumb! I should have been able to figure that one out on my own. Thanks so much Bill for your help.

Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Make sure you relieve the handles for the backspring pin heads.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

An update on my progress. Trashed the white pearl scales, fouled them up drilling the holes on the spring side, not much room for error there! I had some African black wood, which look pretty good. There is however still that darn bend in the liner that is not looking good! I don't have it pinned tight yet, but I can't imagine the last two pins are going to close the gap between the back spring and liner?? I will post some photos when I get her done. Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The gap may not close all the way.
The only way to remove the bend is to take the lever spring off, file it flat, and reinstall it. Then, the lever may not have enough tension.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

here is the "bent liner" How do you repair that?
liner.JPG
liner.JPG (265.89 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Some things I learned.
A drill press is a must have item to make knives, I ruined the pearl scales!
Polish all parts before final assembly it will help in the end.
When fitting scales just go slow, you can sand off too much very quickly.
African black wood is very hard wood
Don't leave your polishing wheel out while using grinder for metal, you will go to use it later and find out it is now no good....duhhh!
You will piss off the misses as you will begin to spend more time in your workshop then with her.
You only need a tiny bit of pin sticking through too peen it, too long and you have a huge rivit that sucks!
The cut in the scale that exposes the lever spring is a real pain Without proper tools, router I assume?
It's only a kit ,piece of cake....perhaps the 2nd one will be!
The liner is bent what to do?
Get another kit and make more!!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I just told you how to fix the liner.
The lever spring slot can be cut with a jewelers saw and filed to shape.
ChadEntwistle

Post by ChadEntwistle »

Thanks Bill.
Do you find that issue with the kits often? Also if I removed material from one liner, would you do the same on the other liner to make it match? Or would youre eye not pick that up?
Thanks again it has been fun.
Chad
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't remove material from the liner!
Take the lever spring off the liner. File it flat. Reinstall on liner.
Nemo Knives

Post by Nemo Knives »

Sheesh...what a mess......Chad..Just take the whole thing apart and bend the liner and lever spring the opposite way until it is straight. I do it all the time and it is way easier to do before the build. If you start off with a bent knife,you are going to finish with a bent knife.....Nemo
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Three rights to make a left...