Wavy Liners

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
georgeg3

Wavy Liners

Post by georgeg3 »

I'm working on my first stiletto project and an about ready to attach the bolsters to the liners. I have NS liners with NS bolsters soldered on. After all the work I've done on them - grinding, drilling, polishing, attaching the button, etc. the liners are wavy. I tried clamping them in the vise, but they are for a 13" knife so I can't get the whole thing in at once. When I hold the bolster up to the liners I have lots of gaps.

Any suggestions?
jthm

Post by jthm »

use blocks of wood,
Demonblade

Post by Demonblade »

So Georgeg3, I'm interested, how did the final results turn out? I'm currently working on redoing a 11" stiletto for a friend of mine. We gutted an old AB he had laying around, damascus bayo blade. We're adding the N/S top and bottom bolsters, making it into a picklock. He has purchased N/S skull buttons, but the really interesting part is the handles. He ordered the raw material from a medical supply house. We're going to make the scales from human bone. Don't ask me, it's what he wanted. Anyway, we're using stainless for the liners, hand cut and polished. We even have the full ears on the liners for the top bolsters. It will be a couple more weeks before we're through. When we finish, I'll be sure to post pics of the finished blade. I've been taking pics of the entire process, from the very beginning. If it turns out the way it's looking like it will, I'll be making one for myself next. Good luck with your project.

Demonblade
Life is short, play hard, enjoy, and carry a BIG switchblade
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

Well Demonblade, thanks for asking.

I've set it aside for a while. Many hours have been spent taking it apart and putting it back together. I think it was Merlin who pointed out that the NS was not stiff enough for a 13". So, apart it came again and I went back to the original brass liners. I picked white linen Micarta for the scales which also was a challenge. When I try to buff it, black from the (already polished) NS bolsters get on the Micarta. It's back together on a temporary basis, but now I'm having problems getting the blade to lock in the closed position. The locking pin also hangs up the kickspring and keeps it from popping out all the way.

It's funny you should mention human bone. I thought I was the only sicko, but I'm having my hip replaced in two weeks, and I thought about asking the doctor to keep what he cuts out so I could use it for knife scales. Don't know if I could actually go through with working on a hunk of my own bone.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

George - good luck with the hip replacement, I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.
If you cant handle carving up your own bones, send it to Demonblade - he does'nt seem to have a problem :lol: a Lectorletto.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

George
Never use white linen Micarta, only paper Micarta. Linen is too porous. You can try using Simichrome to clean the scales, follwed by hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Neutral shoe polish or paste wax can help also.
I can't help you with the bone!
Bill DeShivs
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

goergeg3,

good luck with your upcoming operation! do they use titamium parts or stainless on your hip? i had to have my face wired back together with titanium - fun stuff :wink:

mr demonblade - dude, the idea of using human bone is just creepy :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

On anything white use a buff that is never used on anything else. White rouge can help and so can light, short touches to the buffing wheel.
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

Thanks the the micarta advise and the well-wishes on my upcoming surgery. The Doc said the replacement hip was made out of cobalt-chrome alloy, titanium, stailness and polyethylene. Probably enough dissimilar metals to cause a galvanic reaction. Just tell me one thing Doc, is it stamed "inox" or "rostfrei?"
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

LOL- I like your attitude George. You give em hell!

Using human bone is creepy, but I cant think of anything more sinister to have on a picklock. Any pick w/ HB has to have a name also I would guess. :twisted: