A great cheap tool source!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

A great cheap tool source!

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have posted this before on various foums, but will do it here. A great place to buy tools for your knifemaking/mangling is http://www.homier.com
Portable bandsaws-$50, Grinders (buffers) $10- $20, flex-shaft machine- $20, Cutoff saws- $20-$50, woodworking tools. Be shure to look in all the categories.
Bill DeShivs
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx for posting this Bill. These guys periodically set up big tent sales from town to town. They're worth checking out. Last time I was at one a couple of years ago, I got a 5" angle grinder for $5, a 18V cordless drill for $5, and reciprocating saw for $17.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks for posting that again mr deshivs! it's so hard to keep track of all these websites - and i personally am always on the lookout for new/better tools!
The-Distinctive-Edge

Post by The-Distinctive-Edge »

cool, going to check it out! Paul
We love this stuff!
The-Distinctive-Edge

Post by The-Distinctive-Edge »

Have you bought before, looks very cheap?? Paul
We love this stuff!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most of the tools are not industrial-quality, but will suffice for the hobbyist.
Quality is about the same as Harbor Freight.
Bill
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hey bill, who has it and what is the best set of tools for peening?
i've been useing a couple weights of hammers, and some customized punches - but are there specialty tools available?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mr. Bigg
I use very small hammers that are available from http://www.micromark.com
I don't use punches for peening at all, but I may make a pin head rounding punch for special situations. It would simply be a cup-head punch of the proper diameter.
Bill
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Homier was just here for four days and I picked up on some good deals. They come every year and rent a hall. I picked up some drill bits, screw drivers, leather gloves, and a air compresser, all for under $50.00. I have a
Harbor Freight within 3 miles of me and I have a hard time driving pass that one.. I'm looking at a small milling machine that they have for $300.00 for the future. On the hammer issue, I have been using a old kids set of tools
they were throwing out at school. Nice and light hammer
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

Last weekend Homier was about 75 miles from me. I snagged a 6" grinder for $10. I replaced the grinder wheels with buffing pads. It's not as heavy duty as my Black & Decker grinder, but it cost two-thirds as much.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Mr. Bigg
I use very small hammers that are available from http://www.micromark.com
I don't use punches for peening at all, but I may make a pin head rounding punch for special situations. It would simply be a cup-head punch of the proper diameter.
Bill
hi bill - i have a very small lightweight hammer that i use, and i use the same thing as you described to smooth up the head once i'm done peening - but i guess i was hoping you'd say there was a tool that could help me avoid repeated blows to the scale? when i did the maple scaled knives i had a halo of small dents in the wood all the way arounf the pin heads. since then i've tried using punches, taping the area around the pin - and also trying harder to not hit the wood...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A smaller diameter hammer, and practice. There are no magic peening tools. Sorry.
Bill
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks bill - that's what i was afraid you were going to say :wink:

i guess you must get tired of answering the same questions over and over from newbie manglers!