How to close a Trapdoor

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Belmont800

How to close a Trapdoor

Post by Belmont800 »

Hi Bill, I have a IRN Trapdoor. As you know, the tip of the blade sits out of the handle a tiny bit, and you use the trapdoor to manually "cock" the blade to use as a SA OTF.

As you push the trapdoor against the tip of the blade to cock it, the natural tendency in the design is for the trapdoor to press on the tip of the blade, "tipping" / dulling the tip.

Is there anything that can be done to remedy this? ---other than not cocking the knife to fire ever??

Thank you Bill!!! :D :D
Belmont800
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: How to close a Trapdoor

Post by Bill DeShivs »

This is a common problem with OTFs. You could get a piece of very hard wood like bamboo, and push the tip in with it and then close the trapdoor.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Good idea will try that... Time to take a hike to the bamboo patch! :D

Thank you Bill!
Belmont800
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't cut yourself.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

are you going to post a pic ? :)
Belmont800 wrote:Good idea will try that... Time to take a hike to the bamboo patch! :D

Thank you Bill!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:This is a common problem with OTFs. You could get a piece of very hard wood like bamboo, and push the tip in with it and then close the trapdoor.
Some synthetics [like delrin also are o.k. :idea:
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Vagrant wrote:
Bill DeShivs wrote:This is a common problem with OTFs. You could get a piece of very hard wood like bamboo, and push the tip in with it and then close the trapdoor.

Thanks for the additional tip Mr. Vagrant, where would I find a piece of Delrin scale? (other than pulling one off of another knife) :D I could definitely order one, however Is this something my hardware store may have?

Thank you. - Best - Dan
Belmont800
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Belmont800 wrote:
Vagrant wrote:

Thanks for the additional tip Mr. Vagrant, where would I find a piece of Delrin scale? (other than pulling one off of another knife) :D I could definitely order one, however Is this something my hardware store may have?

Thank you. - Best - Dan
I have no clue :( One place I used to work we used a lot of it, when I need a piece [for something] I'd bring a piece of scrap home :idea: I'm out, or I'd send you a piece. :(
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

I would think any piece of med/hard plastic would do it as well. Or the scale on one of those tiny SAKs.
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

delrin is fairly cheap you can find it a mscdirect.com the shipping might cost more tham the material. and they have next day delivery at no extra charge. order before 4pm and have it tomorrow.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Excellent! Thanks guys, I am off to order a piece of delrin at mscdirect.com to go with my bamboo piece. :D
Belmont800
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I've often wondered why they designed those trapdoor OTFs so you have to push metal onto the tip of the blade to close it. The only thing I can imagine is that they never intended it to be a collector's item when they were originally made. Like Rizzutos, they probably just intended them to be dime-store pieces which wouldn't last more than a year or two.

I don't have a TD of my own but I've considered that you might be able to put a small piece of electric tape on the underside of the trapdoor to lessen the brunt of the metal on the tip.

I saw someone demonstrating their TD by firing it. But the left the trapdoor shut when they fired it so the tip of the blade pushed it out of the way when it opened. It kind of pained me to watch that happen.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Agreed on several fronts. These are at best letter openers, at worst very interesting discussion items. Its pretty simple really, it you want to keep the tip original and intact, the best way is just to never use it I have found. Even Delrin seems to dull the tip, (Bamboo is good when its young and green but gets tough like Delrin when it dries (I have found both of these out through trial).

Lets just say .. don't take a vintage Italian TD hunting :lol: :D

I think tape would lessen the impact, but the tip would poke through quickly and you would be back to metal - on - metal, the force needed to cock one of these is surprisingly great.
Belmont800
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Belmont800 wrote:I think tape would lessen the impact, but the tip would poke through quickly and you would be back to metal - on - metal, the force needed to cock one of these is surprisingly great.
Is firing it with the door shut, so the blade throws it out of the way, as bad for the tip as it looks?

And what if you used something that didn't push on the tip but kind of grabbed the sides of the top of the blade and then pushed it down. Could you use something like a rubber-padded pair of tweezers to clamp it and push it all the way in?
Attachments
1 006.JPG
1 006.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 7301 times