Casting metal for knives basic

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Howard

Casting metal for knives basic

Post by Howard »

Casting one off ( one piece) can be very simple depending on design.
Let's say you want to make a side plate like a Mikov. To get a good finish a product called Delft clay can be bought at a jewlery supply. Make a hard wax bolster stick it to a sheet metal cut out of your side plate put the clay in a tupperware type box using polite force like a wood hammer to push down the model, and clay the model should be face down. Pull out the model very carfully ( any marks will show up in your casting). Using a low heat metal the first time to gain your experience. Use no lead pewter it will melt at just 550 degrees and you can melt it in a pouring ladle and a propane torch. The side plate will cool very fast ,one hour or faster. Pull your part look for you problems if none cast the metal you want using the same type of flux as forging Borax. The Delft clay can be used over and over depending on how clean you keep it!
You can make limited number of castings in high heat concrete the mold material depends on how good of surface you want and clean up.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Howard,
This is real interesting, I've had many projects in the past where I'd have cast parts if I had the knowledge of how it's done.
My latest project, a 9" stiletto, has only the blade and spring from the original knife. Bolsters, pommels, and misc. other parts were made the hard way, hacked out of brass bar stock. It would have been nice to have been able to cast a few of these parts, especially since I think I'd like to recreate the style of knife a few more times. As it was, I spent a lot of time drilling, sawing, filing, etc.
I hope you don't mind if I ask your advice from time to time, or try to persuade you to cast something for me. If you wouldn't mind, how hard would it be to cast brass or nickel silver. Sorry if my questions are of such a basic nature, but I'm ignorant as hell about this process.
Regards,
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Howard

Post by Howard »

No problem, I found several old knives that have hand stamping or dapping (Craft Hammering) or castings. Now days not to many of the custom makers seem to be into casting.
Trades always wecome!