drawing board re-visited - the purple pick is back...

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

drawing board re-visited - the purple pick is back...

Post by mrbigg »

well, inbetween being a working stiff, a new dad, and pissing rocks
(kidney stones :( ) i managed to get my picklock project back on course!

keep in mind that nothing is finished yet, no final sanding/polishing has been done,
nor have i figured out what to do with the purpleheart scales,
so they remain unpinned, like the rest of the knife...

it starts with these 1/16" brass liners with NS bolsters i carved out,
but still need some sanding up - i also used an M2 machine cap screw
to hold down the button, which i may also do to the scales.....
add some purpleheart scales, and some spring steel and a FB dagger blade....
slap it together....
so waddya think?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Nice job! Your work is really clean and precise looking. What's your secret for making the blade come out so straight?
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks man!

the secret is all in the wrist :wink: luck and a bit of trick photography help too :lol:
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

Looking REAL good Mr. Bigg. Did you have to thread the liners for the cap screw?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

thanks mr georgeg3!

yes, with a very expensive tap! but now that i think of it, i'll problably just pin the spring and scales, rather than have to mess around with more taps wierd screw sizes and all the other hassle that comes with using screws.
jthm

Post by jthm »

I really like it. how much you want for it?????????
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"and pissing rocks (kidney stones]"
Boy, doesn't that get your undivided attention?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

LOL - that and some mr vagrant - i've got four more, and getting them blasted this wed. yippy!

mr jthm - keep your eyes peeled, one day you may see this on ebay as a signed - serial #1 biggy custom's prototype first run limited edition out of production big ticket item on ebay!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The first time I had them blasted, I had 3 of them. A month later the x-ray showed 5. The second time was better. The third time they were small enough that they used a gel type substance in a poly bag [held against the side] instead of the sit in the tank method. Much more gentle [or I was much more sedated].
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

same here - had three blasted last january, now this batch had five - already pissed one out - nearly passed out, but puked from the pain - brutal..

i think the gel filled ball method of lithotripsy (smashing the stones) is the newest and prefered method - i know up here they don't use the water tank method anymore. i however found it quite painful the next day - felt like i'd taken 1000 punches to the kidney...at least it breaks em up smaller than grains of sand, so you don't feel them come out!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Nice work, Mr. B. I like the look without pommels. I'm still stuck back in the soldering phase...haven't sat down and worked on it for a while. I've decided to just make plain bolsters without guards for my first stilletto. Yours is just beautiful.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Great work Bigg.
Im waiting on my Homier order to come in to finish a few things up.
Btw... the boy is looking good. great pic.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr edge - the soldering part is probably the trickiest part - i had my father in law "braise" mine on with an oxy-acetylene torch and braise rods made of 15% silver, which closely matches the NS content of 18%...

you must reach temps of 1100 degrees F. to do it this way, so an ordinary plumbers torch will not do, as they will only reach 900 F.

since i took those picks, i had more material braised on to the "pick notch" part of the bolster, cause i went too crazy with the filing!
also i have given the purpleheart two good coats of polyurethane, and then sanded it right down all the way to 1500 grit...damn i'm still not happy with them yet....anyway, when i get it all buffed up and pinned, i'll post more pics! hell i'm already planning for my next one :twisted:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

mrbigg,

Well done, very well done.

Jim
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Mr. B....thanx for the tip, because my plan was to use a regular torch for the soldering. What am I going to use then?? I'm using stainless liners and nickel-silver, so I'll have to find some silver solder to be safe. Canuckian Tire doesn't sell it.