back to the drawing board...

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

back to the drawing board...

Post by mrbigg »

hey all,

well after weeks of gathering materials for my picklock project - i now have a new appreciation for the master manglers....

there were cumulative goofups that led to resorting to my backup set of parts, - the ones i was going to use for my second picklock project, once i mastered the first :lol: it's one thing to customize an already made knife, but to make one from scratch takes skill and patience and time....

anyway, i got my father in law to solder the NS bolsters on, but he clamped them real tight, right in the middle of it, so by the time i ground the dent out it was too thin (but i was in denial) so off i went and prepared my purpleheart scales - the wood came from mr claudster, and there was only enough for two scales with my no rear bolster plan...first i made it too thin, then i over bevelled it, and lastley i completely wrecked it by drilling the damn hole in the wrong place because i was rushing :twisted:

back to the drawing board :roll:
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey MRBIGG,
Let me know if you want to try the heart again, I could cut it up after the weekend. If you have a cat I'd kick it or maybe hit the wall or just go and get drunk.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

While I've made a good many fixed blade knives I've only done 3 folders,
now you know why. Everything has to be just right "close enough" does NOT work. I'll leave such items to people who have talent, [and admit I don't have much at all].
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

MrBigg,
Thanks for admitting to that quality which makes us the best race in the universe; the ability to fail, pick yourself up, and move forward with the knowledge learned from experience. Winners don't give up. Nothing makes an impression like a mistake made. Nothing defines a winner better than the ability to learn from those mistakes.
Since we're giving confessions, my own over-ambitious project has provided me with a small boxful of rejected parts. But last Monday, when I finally got all the mechanical bugs worked out and sat there thinking "holy shit, it actually works!", it was worth all the false starts and bits of metal flung across the room. Now the fun part begins; the cosmetic work of scales, polishing, fine tuning, etc., plus trying to find out a way to photograph the results and present it to the forum members and wait for the insults.
The next project, and there will surely will be a next one, will be done better and quicker due to the lessons learned.
A journey of a thousand miles.....
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Mr. Bigg,

you may have made some errors, but i think for a first attempt the parts came out really nice. you've got talent and i hope you don't give up.

sounds to me the errors were all part of learning, and now you know, so refining your parts for the 2nd project should prove easier... with great end results.

good luck!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey thanks for all the encouragement guys! yeah i've always been a get right back on the horse kind of guy, so i look at this as a learning experience, one that will eventually pay off if i stick at it!

never again will i wonder why custom stiletto's, picklocks and the like cost so much...my respect goes out to all the guys out there who have inspired me to try my hand at this craft! especially those who have taught and shared their talents with so many others...
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Don't feel bad, Mr. Bigg. Ruined a 2 pairs of Ebony scales also, we're all learning. Waiting on some camel bone. Like the idea about not using bolster at the bottom, to late maybe on the next project.
Nice work with the liners, been practicing on brass before i move onto the nickel silver ones i got from CameronKnifes.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

mrbigg wrote:my respect goes out to all the guys out there who have inspired me to try my hand at this craft! especially those who have taught and shared their talents with so many others...
Yep, i feel the same way. I'm getting ready to try some things myself, and believe it or not, you've helped inspire me too. Your scales look great, and you coming out and admitting where you went wrong in the processes, has better informed me of what i need to watch for.

We can't say enough about guys like Nemo who take the time to teach us. I just hope that all the people out there sharing technique and teaching their trade have some idea how much they are appreciated.

In past hobbies of mine, people would'nt tell you squat, because to them... it was giving away "secrets" of their livelihood. Made the hobby horribly difficult and even frustrating at times. The knife community is unlike any other i've been in.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

What Gonzo said Mr. B-
Ya gotta start somewhere and seeing what Mr. Claudester, you and many others are able to do usually ends up w/ me trying to do it also... :D