How to kill a Labor Day-

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

How to kill a Labor Day-

Post by BennytheBlade »

Well... I got some Nemo Bone, several LCC clones and some time to kill... so here it went...
YeeHaaa!
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
georgeg3

Post by georgeg3 »

That looks great Benny.

I started my first Mikov project this weekend. I got some undyed bone from Nemo. Good thing he sent extra because I goobered up the first piece routing it out. The second piece went better after I made a temporary jig for the router table. While I had the router all set up I figured I'd try a third piece - which split down the middle at first contact with the router bit.

Yesterday I tried shaping the outer surface of the bone. Started out with a belt sander clamped sideways on a sawhorse. Worked well except I went too deep on one area. Tried the Dremel on the back scale.

One problem I did have was inserting the rivets just to hold the thing together. My drill bit was slightly larger than the holes in the liner, but the larger rivets would not go in the bone. Ended up using brads.

Anyway, I'm having a ball working on it. I'm copying Nemo's stiletto project for my next attempt.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

thanks george... sounds like you will be having some fun w/ the mikov kits... I have 2 or 3 kits and 2 or 3 more pairs of nemobone, but I wanna try to up my skillls before i jump into a mikov... I dont wanna screw anything up on it. I still need to do a little shaping then buff and polish... however it turns out, its been fun.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Nice looking dog Mr.Benny.He must have smelt the bone! :lol: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8)
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Hey Benny,
Let us know how it goes with the lccs. I had the same idea last spring and I took the scales off, started making the new ones and there still sitting there. I got into the Mikovs and thought doing the handles were easier on them. Now that its starting to get a little cooler here I'll be getting out in the shop to work on the blades. I want to order that bone from Nemo this next week, It looks great.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Nemo

Re: How to kill a Labor Day-

Post by Nemo »

[quote="BennytheBlade"]Well... I got some Nemo Bone, several LCC clones and some time to kill... so here it went...
[url=http://www.ocalafl.net/astaroth/clone%20mod/clod.html]YeeHaaa![/url][/quote]
Very cool!....we gotta get you some thinner bone for the LCC bro.....I will get off my butt and order some more to dye here soon.....and if you need any help....e-mail me....I love the dog!....every time I grind on bone in the shop I have all 5 of mine in there waiting to see if any will just happen to fall on the floor...then when I am done they will follow me from room to room until I take a shower and get the smell off of me.... :D .......Nemo
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

That was fun! It's HARD being the craftsman and the journalist all at once.

The dawg was looking sad because of the "waste" of a good bone, doggone it. Hilarious picture -said it all.