Where can I find more of this stuff????!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Stone Knife

Where can I find more of this stuff????!

Post by Stone Knife »

Quite awhile ago I obtained some sheets of jewelers' rouge coated 'sandpaper'.

It was more like a canvas cloth than paper, and coated only with red jewelers' rouge, and man- was it the stuff for hand-polishing metal. It was factory-produced pro stuff... the coating was on there really tight and uniform.

I need some, I must have some... but where? Do any of you metalworkers have any leads for me on this?

It's been so long ago I can't remember where I got my few sheets I once had. It sure wasn't on the internet! At that time there wasn't any internet. Imagine that.

Thanks!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

No clue on the paper, but Micro mark has a couple types of mylar film coated with very fine componds. Try http://www.micromark.com
they list them under sandpaper and micro-mesh
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Stone,
The cloth abrasive you're referring to is called crocus or crocus cloth, and any tool supply or industrial supply in your are can probably supply it. It comes in a number of grits, all a lot finer than sandpaper, is handy stuff to have around.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

great link mr G_B!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tr4252 wrote:Stone,
The cloth abrasive you're referring to is called crocus or crocus cloth, and any tool supply or industrial supply in your are can probably supply it. It comes in a number of grits, all a lot finer than sandpaper, is handy stuff to have around.
TR
I've seen a optical finishing cloth that made crocus cloth look like a gravel road but the place that was using it is no longer in business and I've never seen it again.
Micro-mesh is VERY similar but it's a mylar film not cloth.
Stone Knife

yes !

Post by Stone Knife »

Thanks to everyone with the suggestions and links... I think what I had WAS crocus cloth ( I remember thinking about the funny name) and will also check out micro-mesh.

Widget supply is a great little store, isn't it?

Although jewlers' rouge and the ol' Dremel are must-haves, there's something about using an index finger and crocus to achieve ...an 'organic' curvature I can't duplicate on a machine.

It is possible to use crocus to get that M1911 feedramp just so, that you can chamber empty cases. That's when you know you've got that thang tuned up! Same with certain knife parts...

Said it before, say it again, I love this place. 8)
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

That widget place has some cloth, but i think it's mostly for polishing. It's under jeweler's tools>other tools
I like the place, great selection of stuff like rouge, vices, files, etc.

Back to "crocus",
i wonder if you could'nt take any ol' cloth, maybe an oil rag, and just load it with a rouge of your choice, since theres such a variety?

Honestly Stone, i don't know what crocus cloth is like, but i'll keep an eye out for the name. Please let me know if you ever find it also, i'd like to check it out too.

Maybe this is the stuff? http://www.3m.com/product/c_index/Crocu ... )_00.jhtml
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

Bah, i found it :(

first i seen this: http://www.goodson.com/New_Prod_03/UR-1-CROCUS.html Not it!

next seen This. Not it either....

THEN, low and behold... i found it!! rouge impregnated denim!!!
http://www.ggcreations.com.au/althea/no ... rocus.html

the bad news? it's in friggin' Australia. :shock:

So i continue...

You may want to try out these guys, they have "crocus" but it isn't specified on the actual type.

I believe "crocus" is the wrong name but it may just be a broad term.
They do say this stuff is woven, so an email might be good. http://www.futureabrasives.com/default.asp

and then i find myself back to 3M products, an interesting quote:
CROCUS CLOTH

P/N 09-21000 $5.200

Sleeve of 50 Sheets ­ 25% Discount
Crystal Bay brand Crocus Cloth is a quality 3M rouge- based cloth for fine polishing operations.
When used with oil, and under sufficient pressure,
Crocus Cloth has a mild abrasive action which produces a lustrous finish on well-sanded surfaces. Sheet size 9" x 11".
from here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... dpaper.php

If i dig thru results for "rouge cloth" it seems pretty much non-abrasive, and not what you'd be looking for at all.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Wow, some GREAT links.
Stone Knife

The search-meiser!

Post by Stone Knife »

Yep- I think mine was 3M, too. It's starting to come back to me- It may have been a hardware store just south of Seattle called McLendon's in Renton where I found the first stuff.

Although a homemade version is interesting and certainly possible, the tight bond between the rouge and backing cloth when made by the factory was really a winner in the stuff I had originally. I think I'm too lazy to try to make my own. No, I KNOW I'm too lazy.

With the part number, 3M brand and other details we now have, I bet we come up with a domestic supplier before the weekend's out.

Thanks for digging all that stuff up!
Stone Knife

I found it!! Thanks to y'all

Post by Stone Knife »

Here's a link to a page that pictures this stuff. It's the red-coated sheets, shown about 1/3 the way down the page. The distributor is in N.Y.

http://shorinternational.com/Emery.htm

There's also some micro-finishing film sheets just below the crocus. Very interesting. I'm stopping by McLendon's tomorrow to see if they have any of the micros on a per-sheet basis to try some out before ordering a whole $30 pack of the micro-finishing films.

The whole page looks like a goldmine for polishing stuff.